Fat pony is pulling fence posts out to get to grass!

The wife

Visit site
As per title. Little 14hh pony keeps pulling the plastic posts out of the ground and hopping over the electric fence. Any suggestions for keeping the fat pony in?! She is in at night due to fatness and have another horse grazing her field down at night. I know for a fact she will not keep a muzzle on.

Any suggestions or pony free to a good home?!

Help!

The wife

Visit site
This isn't an option I am afraid. We have fenced off about a 20m x 20m patch for her inside a small paddock that is about 40 x 20m anyway. The plastic posts are only used as a temporary measure until full field is grazed down.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Double them up a row inside a row or buy the tall ones.

Only other option is keep the pony in if it won't keep w muzzle on. I had to cable tie a muzzle to a field safe headcollar to keep it on a naughty greedy fence trashing pony.

be positive

Visit site
Cant you electrify the posts by wrapping the electric tape up them?

You cannot make the posts carry the current but wrapping the tape around every post once rather than just through the slot may make it very tricky for the pony to grip them without getting a shock, it will also make the fence line more secure so the tape doesn't drop down when one post is loosened.

Archangel

Visit site
I wrap tape round the post and attach it to the live tape also put the posts in so they are angled towards the side the horse is on so they can't grab them easily. One of mine does this - infuriating!

11bluewolf

Visit site
You cannot make the posts carry the current but wrapping the tape around every post once rather than just through the slot may make it very tricky for the pony to grip them without getting a shock, it will also make the fence line more secure so the tape doesn't drop down when one post is loosened.
Of course not if they are plastic, But yes meaning that if you wrapped the live tape around them..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we have one that did this in winter, though just for amusement purposes they never actually went over the tape even though they had 5 down in a row :p

we cribboxed the posts, that seemed to help.
wrapped the tape round the top on his side
failing that I would have acquired some live pigtail posts and watch him try and do it with them :p.

OR muzzle the ******!

JillA

Visit site
Loop the tape through the top keeper, down the post and through the lowest keeper before back up to the top one. That effectively makes the post live - so long as your current is good enough, have you tested it? Mine plays with anything less than two lights, has to be three or more to keep him out.

Ladyinred

Visit site
we have one that did this in winter, though just for amusement purposes they never actually went over the tape even though they had 5 down in a row :p

we cribboxed the posts, that seemed to help.
wrapped the tape round the top on his side
failing that I would have acquired some live pigtail posts and watch him try and do it with them :p.

OR muzzle the ******!

Cribbox... great idea!

That's one of mine solved... now what about the one who worries the posts with a front hoof until they fall over?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Benji used to pull the posts out by the tops of them. Gus got through 3 fences worth of the stuff and climb through wire fences. Lady and Jinny jumped it. Got the 5ft posts so they tried to limbo under the tape instead. :(

Yep LinR, mine tried that too, you could see the evidence the next morning.

windand rain

Visit site
We have two fences a few feet apart at different heights 5 strands and on the mains and we have finally kept the houdini pony in. She tries to put her head through but now it catches her ears when ever she does so it works much better on her ears than on a hairy body or mane. You can buy stuff that looks like cheese wire as horsey electric fence it might be worth trying that on the top of the posts as opposed to tape as it will carry a bigger bang but still not be able to catch their limbs in it. A lot of yards round here use it as fencing but it scares me

Last edited:

supsup

Visit site
One of ours pulls the stakes up by the footrest thing at the bottom. We tried wrapping the tape around the stakes very low, but then you can't really prevent it from touching the grass, so it drains the battery in no time (though maybe an option if you have mains power).
I managed to eventually solve the problem with some DIY skills by modifying the standard plastic fence posts. I took the top half of broken-off old fence posts, cut off the bottom bit, drilled a hole near one end, and attached them half-way up a normal, whole fence post (drill a hole through both, use cable ties through the holes to attach). Now the post has an extra "arm" attached about half-way down that sticks out to the side. Use some string to make sure the "arm" doesn't flop all the way down to the ground, but sticks out to the side. I have a tape at the top of the regular upright part of the post, and a second one at the end of the "arm", pointing the arm inside the field (horse-side). This means the grazing horses can't reach the base of the upright post without first encountering a line of tape at the end of the arm. This, together with a second line of fencing (5ft posts) behind has kept our horses in.

Auslander

Visit site
If you can't put wooden posts in, you might consider using fence post spikes, which you hammer into the ground, then pop a stake into. Not as much hassle as a proper post, but more solid than plastic posts. You only need them at each end of the run, so that you have a solid start and finish to the line of tape. Then the plastic posts are just there in a supportive role, which is what they're supposed to be for anyway!