Faulty rug? Not breathable?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I strongly suspect the issue is the neck cover. It blocks the only easy route out for water vapour from the front 2/3 of the body.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Back to original question - Saxons are very poor quality. I had a horse come with one that did exactly what you are describing. Worse still it would create a layer of wet inside and chill the horse.

Throw it in the bin.

Reactions: jnb

Orangehorse

Visit site
My horse is not clipped. I have been using a thick cotton summer sheet at night when he is in the stable. He was sweating in the morning, just on the shoulder area, I don't mean he was drenched. So I guess he was a little too warm, with his winter coat.

Starzaan

Visit site
Saxon is owned and made by Weatherbeeta, in the same factory, using the same materials. It sounds to me as if he is simply too hot. However, if you think the rug is faulty, take it back to the retailer you bought it from and ask them to send it to the office for testing.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
It could be a one off faulty rug.

Friend had this issue with a swish one, horse would be wet under it but put another make on and be fine.

Sent it back and turned out the outer material was faulty and not breathing.

Would a try without the neck on be worth it?
We are having werid weather lately with the temps going up and down.

Also those talking about over rugging even when. Fully clipped there are circumstances where those do need to be rugged up, pssm, cold older horses or just horses that feel the cold more.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Unless the horse is very young , very old or has medical needs like tying up, 200g in temperatures of 4-5 degrees- especially if unclipped- is simply too much! I'd bet good money that he's just sweating underneath it. Horses' thermoneutral zone is much lower than that of humans, it's always better for them to be a bit too cool than a bit too warm , as they can utilise food to fire up their internal heating system and even reduce circulation into individual legs if they need it more in other parts of the body. Plus they can move ti keep warm.
My unclipped and fairly fine coated cob has been out overnight in the rain in that temperature and been warm in a 100g.
The only horse at the yard to be wearing such warm rugs is a 29 year old TB that doesn't keep much weight on.

Reactions: TPO

southerncomfort

Visit site
I will say that I've found definite differences in the fillings of rugs that are supposed to be the same. As in, in one rug the filling seemed quite flat, but the other was seriously puffed up.

I have no idea how rugs are manufactured but I wonder if differences in how the filling is made or put in the rug can produce temperature differences?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Could be faulty. Back and bum being wet make me think leaking. I had a new Weatherbeeta sheet do this before.

If it has been dry out and he is wet, then I'd say sweat and I think the neck cover is just too much and I'd stick with a regular rug with no neck cover until the temps really drop and he is clipped.

And no, this is not an animal welfare issue if you were quick to see the issue and fix it. ;)

Starzaan

Visit site
I will say that I've found definite differences in the fillings of rugs that are supposed to be the same. As in, in one rug the filling seemed quite flat, but the other was seriously puffed up.

I have no idea how rugs are manufactured but I wonder if differences in how the filling is made or put in the rug can produce temperature differences?

There is a difference in fill which would make different rugs of the same weight feel different. For instance, lofty polyfill or anything utilising Thinsulate will feel much lighter than standard polyfill. Quilted stable rugs will always be warmer than non-quilted due to the air pockets being more effective at retaining heat.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Out of interest, what is the lining like on the Saxon vs the old one? I know some horses really sweat up in nylon lining...

I also second - the padding might have thinned out in the old one. Also, some rugs are just warmer! I've found Weatherbeeta (which has now desperately declined in quality the last couple of years, but that's another topic for another time) and Premier Equine to be a lot warmer than the same fill of Masta rugs, for example.

I would definitely contact them, as they might offer something. You might not get a return but it couldn't hurt to try.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Try this OP. I've had a rug that wasn't breathable and pony sweated up in it.

Find a clean bit of rug, put it over your mouth and try to blow through the fabric. Firstly from the outside in (you shouldn't be able to blow through it) Then from the inside out (you should be able to blow through it this way).

It you can blow through the fabric from the inside out then the rug is breathable and the neck cover is making the pony to hot. If you can't blow through the fabric then the rug is not breathable and that's what is making the pony sweat.

Other liveries may look at you a little oddly, but at least you'll know one way o another.

Starzaan

Visit site
Out of interest, what is the lining like on the Saxon vs the old one? I know some horses really sweat up in nylon lining...

I also second - the padding might have thinned out in the old one. Also, some rugs are just warmer! I've found Weatherbeeta (which has now desperately declined in quality the last couple of years, but that's another topic for another time) and Premier Equine to be a lot warmer than the same fill of Masta rugs, for example.

I would definitely contact them, as they might offer something. You might not get a return but it couldn't hurt to try.

I haven’t worked at WB for almost a year, and my focus was always WB rugs and our other higher price point brands such as Dublin and Crosby, but if memory serves me correctly, it’s a 210T Polyester lining. Same as WB rugs. Q

sport horse

Visit site
If your horse is too hot it will sweat even in a breathable rug. 4 degrees is not cold for a horse with a full coat. The horse's natural coat is waterproof, especially if it is not flattened out by rugs. My clipped out warmblood horses are not wearing the amount of rugs your is, and they are plenty hot enough.

doodle

Visit site
So today was bitterly cold. Damp miserable cold. He was cold in 200grm no hood. I have been putting thinner rugs on incase he was just too hot. So I put on this rug and he was wet/sweaty under it. Again only along his back and bum. I had contacted the seller who said I only had 30 days to return and washing hands of the issue. So an expensive mistake made.

Visit site
You could save the rug for much colder weather and use a thin wicking or cotton rug/liner underneath? Only thing here is that the cotton doesn't slip across the coat and may amplify any rubbing at chest as horses move more in field (Obvs). Some liners have the polyester breathable material also, so you could research those.

jehsb

Visit site
I repeat. It was 4 degrees overnight rising to 5 degrees in the day. It was thick fog and miserable which then turned into heavy rain. He is generally a cold horse. I have had him 5 years and can gauge by previous years what he needs. In the coldest weather he needles his 450 combo on. When lightly clipped he had a thicker rug on this time last year. A rug of the same weight, a year old so yes perhaps flattened, did not make him sweat. He also was not sweating on his neck instead it was along his back and his bum.

I don’t tell other people what to rug their horse with never mind telling them it is a welfare issue.

Thank you everyone for your input.

You say he was only sweating along his back and bum, not the neck. I would expect a horse that was simply too hot in a rug to sweat round the neck and shoulder first. Could it be leaking if the moisture inside in only on his topline ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Why do people insist on telling other people how to rug their horses? Every horse is different. She said her horse wasn't too hot in a 220gm rug but is sweating in this one, which indicates its a specific rug problem and not a welfare issue
I know someone who puts at least four rugs on her horse in the winter when it is stabled overnight, in a large indoor barn, when its around 4-6 C .That would be around two thin type material like fleece coolers and a couple of quilted ones with necks. And would put at least one more quilt on when its minus.

TBH having felt under her horses vast neck covers I did actually feel that her horse wasn't that hot. It's not something I would do as I can't stand the heat and would hate to think my horse would be too hot and obviously unable to take an outer layer off, but I guess all horses are different.

doodle

Visit site
I don’t really want to go back to defending myself and everyone getting annoyed at others peoples rugging thoughts.

I gave this rug away with full disclosure of the issue. That horse had it on overnight. Normally would be in a thicker rug. This rug caused horse to sweat also.