faulty saddle??? should i get my money back?

georgiegirl2

Visit site
hey all,

I have recently bought my 4yo an albion jumping saddle. My older horse isnt going to jump anymore and we thought we would trade his gp in as he already has a dressage saddle to help pay for the new one i've bought for my youngster. The gp saddle is a gfs pro event which is 10 months old but has hardly been used. the saddler took it away saying yes he would sell it for us. We later got a phone call saying the panels are faulty ie viewed from the back they are different sizes - the saddler found an inch difference in leather! and hence he wont touch it with a barge pole! Now i feel really stupid for never noticing it but as i said, its hardly been used except for jumping. However, A lot of recent events seem to tie in with this - george decking (violently) me and my mum and i was signed off work for two weeks. Goerge has also been off work after a trip to the vets where they said he was very sore in his back. He has been on bute and has been refererred to a physio and will have his physio session later this month. we rang the saddlers who fitted it in the first place (and did its first relift 3 months later without noticing a problem!!) who said all they can do is send it back to gfs and see what they say. Now, I'm hoping i get full money back for this saddle as it is faulty although i know what a lot of businesses are like nowadays and unfortunately they try and put all blame on the customer. what do you guys think will happen? is it likely gfs will admit fault? is the saddlers at fault for not noticing bearing in mind they have fitted and later restuffed said saddle? should i try and push to get some of the vet fees back? or is it my fault for not noticing? the saddler we asked to sell it on did say that unless it was pointed out you probably would never notice?

belly

Visit site
I really dont know what the outcome of this would be. But if it was me I would be livid. Maybe you could get a second opinion from another sadler and then maybe even speak to trading standards....just so that you kow where you stand and have it all ready before you approach your original supplier. I'm pretty sure that as with anything else you have to take it up with the original supplier and not gfs...certainly in the first instance anyway.
Good luck...keep us informed!!

suzyseymour

Visit site
I would speak to trading standards and/or citizens advice bureau and get some advice from a solicitor before you speak to them. But I would have thought it is the people who made the saddle that are responsible, as they were the ones that made the faulty saddle. Not sure what bills you would be able to clamin back for but again the CAB or trading standards should be able to tell you.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

belly

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that as with anything else you have to take it up with the original supplier and not gfs...certainly in the first instance anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
gfs will probably tell you to return to your original supplier aswell...its a general trading rule as far as I know. It should be up to your supplier to appraoch gfs with the problem.