Favorite horsemen/ women

risky business

Visit site
Who are the horsemen/ woman that you favour in the horse world? And why do you like them/ admire them or use their techniques on your own horses?

Been watching tonnes of horse programmes as of late due to being horseless and it's been interesting to watch all the different practices.

Just a bit of harmless pondering on a Friday!

Archangel

Visit site
Peter Robson (and The Grebe) - effortless grace from both of them, Hugo Simon because he is tiny and so plucky, Caroline Bradley - I saw her jump shortly before she died - she was a bit of a heroine of mine back in the day - showing my age here!

Ginny Leng & Nicola Wilson - just fab and so lovely in real life. William Fox-Pitt utterly brilliant.

Arthus Kottas and Charles de Kunffy - I use their techniques (my horses might like to comment that I need further study)

Andrew Day's teaching although he did say that watching me ride my lovely horse was like watching "Fred Astaire dancing with his mother" :eek: Surely not. :D;)

Jock Paget - love his jumping clinics.

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Anja Beran, Marijke de Jong, Luca Moneta, Philippe Karl, Lucy Rees, Caroline Bradley. I wish I could ride like any of them! But I just dabble with in hand work-love ground work as much as riding. I love Anja and Marijke's gymnastic training and think Marijke should be a study in how to make social media pay in the equine world! Some of the clinicians over here who constantly moan should take a leaf out of her book. I love Luca Moneta's joy of his horses and I think he is great for the sport as a crowd pleaser as well.

I have recently used some of Ben Hart's shaping plans with much success-they are based on equine learning theory and don't overface the animal while giving me some focus (which I need-brain like a hen). I think lots of people could get good results using them.

MargotC

Visit site
Whilst it has been a while since I sold my ride and drive mare I still massively enjoy watching Barry Hook's approach to harness breaking and driving.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Peter Robson (and The Grebe) - effortless grace from both of them, Hugo Simon because he is tiny and so plucky, Caroline Bradley - I saw her jump shortly before she died - she was a bit of a heroine of mine back in the day - showing my age here!

Ginny Leng & Nicola Wilson - just fab and so lovely in real life. William Fox-Pitt utterly brilliant.

Arthus Kottas and Charles de Kunffy - I use their techniques (my horses might like to comment that I need further study)

Andrew Day's teaching although he did say that watching me ride my lovely horse was like watching "Fred Astaire dancing with his mother" :eek: Surely not. :D;)

Jock Paget - love his jumping clinics.

You must be much the same vintage as me! My boss knew Caroline Bradley and I met her a few times, she was lovely and if she had to die so young then I am glad she went the way she did.

Do you remember the show man who used to ride mainly hunters, Jack Gittens?? Never saw a horse that didn't perform for him. He was my idol.

Lots and lots I admire today but very few whose ideas I can fully embrace.. I tend to admire bits of many!

Stockers

Visit site
Another Caroline Bradley fan. She was my idol when I was a kid.

I like Mary King - her riding but also her attitude, ditto Izzy Taylor.

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Buck Brannaman for his calm style and how he doesn't brownnose people, just tells it like it is and is honest about what the horse's priorities are.

Barry Hook - does everything you could want to do with a driven horse and more, with simple rubber bits.

Luca Maria - that puissance, giving the horse a treat, not wanting to push them no matter what, simple tack.

Visit site
I follow the showjumping!! my recent favourites are Irish riders Bertram Allen and Billy Twomey - both lovely lovely lads and are so kind to their horses. (also IRISH!!)
Used to love Ben Maher when I was younger but was shocked to hear so many bad things about the way he treats his horses!!

When it comes to horsemanship, monty roberts takes the biscuit every time. adore his methods and use them daily with the youngsters!