Favorite Irish stallions for breeding upper level event prospects?

TheEventer

New User
Visit site
Who are your favorite Irish Sport Horse stallions for breeding future upper level event prospects? Semen should still be available on the market for purchase. Thanks!

Eothain

Visit site
Puissance. Top non-retired ISH stallion available at stud. Ranked #9 in the WBFSH sire rankings for 2012.
Alternatively, Irish based warmblood stallion Ricardo Z is the #4 on the WBFSH list with only Heraldik, Cruising and Master Imp ahead of him and they're no longer available.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Puissance. Top non-retired ISH stallion available at stud. Ranked #9 in the WBFSH sire rankings for 2012.
Alternatively, Irish based warmblood stallion Ricardo Z is the #4 on the WBFSH list with only Heraldik, Cruising and Master Imp ahead of him and they're no longer available.

I am amazed you actually managed to slip 4 other horses in along with the MIGHT

CRUISING

well done Eothian

:p

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Dont personally know enough about current stallions but OBOS Quality is very popular - some elite riders are buying a lot of his stock. Cult Hero? Puissanace?

As for me my favourite one would be Royal Concorde- not fashionable yet but I have one yearling by him out of a TB mare.
Royal concorde crossed with a TB mare will make the offspring just over 70% thoroughbred and R.C seems to pass on his super jumping, total bravery and quickness of mind to all his stock. If you watch his youtube videos of him winning the Hamburg/Hickstead Speed Derbies he is so quick, nimble and athletic and just skims round his courses in a lovely easy rhythm, he is so brave yet very carefull and rideable. Exactly what you want in a good cross country horse!! If people are to use a SJ stallion to produce an eventer, I cant abide using stallions that are slow and heavy in the air and almost look too 'big' in their way of going/jumping to be negotiating cross country courses well. Especially with today's XC being so technical you have to have something quick,nippy and rideable.

My yearling moves very well too so that is also a bonus, although I dont think R.C would be used to improve movement necessarily. You'd have to make sure that the mare moved well.

Also his damline is the best in Ireland! Several of his brothers out of the same mare are International Showjumpers, also standing as stallions- I think Carmena Z went to the Olympics. the Dam/ Grand Dam also International SJ'ers as are all the Aunts/Uncles/Cousins!

Lecture over- just like to promote this stallion, as its fun to use something different from what the fashion is, and a stallion that may take off in the years to come!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Depends on what mare Puissance is used on as I have seen some complete dogs by him. I think he needs a quality TB mare.

My favourite at the moment is Harlequin Du Carel - he produces a horse that really jumps and is quite long legged and refined. I have seen some smashing sorts by him and not yet been disappointed.

I am intrigued by the colt (Is it called Jackaroo?) that William Micklem has because its breeding is impeccable. Its a full brother to High Kingdom and Mandiba. I understand it had a field accident which means it will never compete but that would not put me off.

I used to really like Rantis Diamond but had a very long chat with someone who had one which was an amazing horse but sadly had to be PTS and they looked at lots and none had the quality of theirs. They said the quality was varying.

I like VDL Arkansas bloodlines but not seen any stock by him.

gadetra

Visit site
Pointiliste is a fantastic moving TB, the best I have seen in the flesh. Stands as a replacement for Master Imp and what the Hattons don't know about top event breeding isn't worth knowing! I think I will go to either him or Jackaroo next spring with my Supermare!

Luci07

Visit site
What are peoples thoughts on French Buffet and Watermill Swatch? I have seen some very nice horses out of them albeit at the beginning of their event career..

Luci07

Visit site
Hands up. Interested as I too have one (5 yr old) and had not come across him before. TJP.. mine will have similar breeding to yours then as also CH in his dams line. Mine is one of the nicest natured horses I have ever come across. Has his moments but very kind. Watermill Swatch as a friend had looked at him and I thought, that on paper, his record and toughness was impressive. Particularly with his proven success in switching across different disciplines and now seeing his stock out and about.

TJP

Visit site
Luci07 I finally have broadband again (I shall not rant about BT!!). I ho[pe you got my PM although when I send from my phone I am never sure they go. Your boy looks lovely, and very well turned out.

BrightSpark

Visit site
A lot of people talk highly of Ramiro B.

Ricardo Z in not rated by alot of people in Ireland, but I have seen a lot I like by him and the results seem to speak for themselves.

Have only heard of one horse by Kings Master to go advanced and he has been around for some time now.

Seen a few nice young horses by Cougar.

Haven’t seen any young horses by French Buffet that really jump

What are your views on Chacoa, Lux Z, Cruise on, Silvano, Ars Vivendi & VDL Cancun?

Mickyjoe

Visit site
A lot of people talk highly of Ramiro B. ?
Sire of Ballynoe Castle RM.

Ricardo Z in not rated by alot of people in Ireland, but I have seen a lot I like by him and the results seem to speak for themselves. ?

Not always the most straightforward horses, but can be very talented and good looking. There were a LOT of mares put to him, so in sheer numbers alone, there would have to be some good ones.

What are your views on Chacoa, Lux Z, Cruise on, Silvano, Ars Vivendi & VDL Cancun?

All Luxes seem to have superb jumps and good temperaments.

Some absolutely fabulous young horses by OBOS Quality and Harlequin du Carel. So many times I see a young horse that I really like the look of it seems to be by one of them.

Luci07

Visit site

Hope mine will disprove that. He has a really good natural jump and uses himself well. He is as careful behind as he is in front and as he is really short coupled can really ping which takes a bit of sitting on. For a relatively big horse he rides like a pony.

TJP

Visit site

QUOTE]

Im hoping I have one, he's only 2 but showing a nice shape so far - time will tell & in the meantime I can dream :D . FB has only had foals on the ground in Ireland since 2007, again time will tell but if he was still around I would use him based on our 2 year old and a few others I have seen.

BrightSpark

Visit site
I know they are unreal jumpers, Eothain interested in your views on the stallions below.

Chacoa, Lux Z, Cruise on, Silvano, Ars Vivendi & VDL Cancun?

Eothain

Visit site
Chacoa.
Haven't dealt with any of his stock. Saw him last year when I was using Lancelot and OBOS Quality. Beautiful horse. Real blood. I was told that some breeders who went down to use Oke Boy often ended up using Chacoa and Sunny Boy instead because they're so blood. Chacoa is on the verge of becoming fully approved on the merits of his proeny so obviously a good horse.

Lux Z.
I love him. Beautiful horse. Already a proven sire of showjumpers and dressage horses. Quirky temperaments for sure but hey talent makes up for everything.

Cruise On.
Good horse and probably very under rated and under used. He's bred a 4* eventer and several good showjumpers but hasn't got enough support to really be influential. He's getting more popular in his old age and siring the winner of the 6/7 Year Old Cavan Classic this year is no mean feat. He'll benefit greatly from Cian O'Connor riding that Castellana mare and selling her to America.

Silvano.
Gets lots of good lookers. Real sire of show horses. I haven't seen too many by him out competing but you'd often see his name mentioned in the breeding of show horses.

Ars Vivendi.
Quite excited to see what his effect on the ISH population is. I really like him but have seen some smaller horses by him and think that he really needs a tall, leggy blood horse. It's worked with H&M Actrice and Aktion Pur Z. He's too heavy set to deal with mares with loads of Draught breeding.

VDL Cancun.
I know nothing!!

gadetra

Visit site
on Chacoa I have never seen one I didn't like. All I have seen of him (6) have been tall well made animals. Very impressive looking individuals. Wouldn't mind using him myself. He's a blood horse that puts good movement into things.
I wonder why he's not approved now though, or waited untill his progeny results approve him.Was he just not presented or assessed?
Although in another completely seperate argument it would be a great if flawed system of approval if that were always the case!!

Eothain

Visit site
He didn't compete long enough to get to the level of competition to be approved. Another couple of good results from a couple of his high performing progeny and he'll be in.
Interestingly, I think it's his Eventing progeny that are gaining his approval for him

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
OBOS Quality stock can be a touch downhill from time to time but have you seen what they do when you ask them to get up in the air?

My ex has just bought a 4 yo but OBOS Quality from Ireland, it has a serious serious jump in it and a nice attitude to the fences. It didn't massively inspire me when I rode it on the flat though. I haven't jumped it but I've watched him jump on his own and with his instructor. Only thing I (and instructor) thought was that if anything it's slightly *too* brave of that makes sense? It seriously jumps but will go off literally any stride and doesn't have the greatest amount of self preservation. It's not a nasty horse in the stable by anyones imagination but it's not particularly friendly or affectionate either.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
Ars Vivendi.
Quite excited to see what his effect on the ISH population is. I really like him but have seen some smaller horses by him and think that he really needs a tall, leggy blood horse. It's worked with H&M Actrice and Aktion Pur Z. He's too heavy set to deal with mares with loads of Draught breeding.
!!

Just seen this - I saw one in Ireland in February by ARS Vivendi that I absolutely LOVED, it moved and had a proper jump in it. It was however, a nightmare to break apparently. A real professionals horse that got very wound up very quickly and easily. Obviously this is only one horse I'm talking about so they may not all be like this! He does seem to produce some gorgeous types though

Eothain

Visit site
Yeah, Ars Vivendi is pretty popular with the show men alright. He's getting some really really good lookers. Hell, even if they do get wound up a little bit, which I'm not saying they do, it's not the end of the world. There's more to horse sport than leisure riders. Once they jump, all other quirks are forgiven ;-)

As for OBOS Quality. Yes, brave as lions. Just let them get somewhere around the take off spot and they'll look after the rest. Fantastic spirit