Favourite horse book ??

nikkinoo

Visit site
Mine has to be the Jinny and Shanti series by patricia leitch.

smile.gif

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
OMG!! I read the post title and the first thing that came into my head was Jinny and Shanti!!

I loved those series and could read them over and over again without getting bored!
Are they still available? I lost mine, and would love to collect some again for bed time reading!

shoo

Visit site
Prince among ponies - J Pullien-Thompson
The perfect horse - Gillian Baxter
and the Black Stallion series.

tbh Jinny always worried me as she's nearly always going to get in to trouble!! But I liked them aswell.

ldlp111

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mine has to be the Jinny and Shanti series by patricia leitch.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i love those books too
tongue.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
i loved the saddle club books which were set in america. i had them all, i soooo wanted to be one of the characters!
blush.gif

more recently jilly cooper- riders and rivals. brilliant stuff!
grin.gif

algy666

www.bebo.com
My favourite (I think ...) is

Blind Beauty (KM Peyton)

And I also love

Seabiscuit (Laura Hillenbrand)
Smoky the Cowhorse (Will James)
The Horse Whisperer (Nicholas Evans)
The Swallow series (KM Peyton)
Black Beauty (Anna Sewell)
The Jinny and Shantih stories (Patricia Leitch)
The Saddle Club (Bonnie Bryant)

tabithakat64

Visit site
Polo, closely followed by Riders are my favourite adult horse related books.
I wanted a Pony, the Follyfoot books and the Jill books were and still are my favourite pony stories.

nikkinoo

Visit site
Oh yeah Polo and Riders, Fab books.
LippyX you can still get some jinny and shanti on ebay. I managed to find the whole set. Im making my other half read them now at bed time (he is 33 LOL)

Think he would rathe read a jilly cooper though.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Very old book called Fiander's Horses about a teenager working in different types of yards to save up enough for her own horse. Apart from being a good read it taught me so much about yards I didn't know anything about, racing and studs for two.

Recent ones have to be Jilly Cooper's and anything by KM Peyton or Monica Edwards.

Aru

Visit site
Black beauty the black stallion series,my friend flicka and that series...oh and the silver brumby books!!i loved those and there actually fairly acurate in wild horse behaviour to...

Doris68

Visit site
OMG Pat - I have a very dogeared copy of that book and didn't think anyone else would have heard of it!! You must be nearly as old as me.....!
grin.gif

Janah

Visit site
Trubie, Primrose Cummings wrote Silver Snaffles, one of my favoutites.

I also love Black Beauty, Polo. all the Jill books, all the Flicka books and the Brumbies.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
MOnica Edwards Punchbowl Farm series, Patricia Leitch wrote a book called (I think) Dream of Fair Horses, about a poor girl who gets the ride on a show pony, liked that one very much. The PUllein-Thompson books, particularly the older ones are fab, especially Six Panies, I had two ponies, and Plenty of Ponies, althought there are too many to list.

I wonder if anyone apart from me read Caroline Silvers book, 'Summer with Tommy'? Non fiction, she bought a small moorland type and gentled, backed, rode away and finally sold him. The book was originally written as a series for a national paper, I've seen it on ebay recently, it's well worth reading (brings a big lump to your throat though).

Spook

Visit site
"ILLUSTRATED HORSE BREAKING" by Capt. M H. Hayes almost the bible of horse training/breaking/starting/whatever ...........provided it is interpreted for modern tastes

Visit site
When I was younger, I enjoyed the Saddle Club and Heartland series and also The Midnight Dancer books.
smile.gif

More recently, I love Jilly Cooper - Riders and I'm just about to read the next one in the series!
grin.gif

Also, I love Chosen by a Horse by Susan McBane but it's really sad and made me cry!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
OMG Pat - I have a very dogeared copy of that book and didn't think anyone else would have heard of it!! You must be nearly as old as me.....!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So glad to have found someone else who's read it, was beginning to think I had the only copy, lol! I can remember seeing it in a paper/sweet shop I used to go past every day for school; I'd check every time I went past that it was still there because the shop owner didn't think I'd ever save enough money for it - but I did and I won't ever part with it either! I was 9 or 10 then, still at junior school anyway, be about '58 as I left school altogether in '64! So I bet I'm older!
grin.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif

Hippona

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"Dream of Fair Horses", by Patrica Leitch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.....loved this book-I'm welling up already....... if anyone has a copy they dont want I would buy it off them....(pretty pls
grin.gif
grin.gif
)

Also the Jinny and Shantih books...I thought they were still in my mums attic, but she says not...Grrrr - bet she's lit a bonfire with them or sumat......
frown.gif