Favourite saddle for stickability?

BSL2

Visit site
Not what asked, but to add (don't know what op rides in) try jods/,breeches with "sticky seats" definitely help. Not great for refind riding, but marvelous for"survival riding". ?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Another fan of ideal impala monoflap. While it's a jump saddle, I also find it lovely to school in. Its saved me a number of times.
I would.look at monoflap jump saddles preferably in calfskin and prepare to hate other saddles after.
I hare Riding horses in.saddles with nonknee rolls now.

I know monos are fashionable, and clearly it suits you, but they are not the right choice across the board for riders let alone for stick ability. For the wrong person their leg will scoot backwards and leave the rider floundering forwards. I fit some riders with double padded flaps (with three different thicknesses of foam), some in more regular flaps (3 kind of non-padded double flap) and some in monoflaps of various kinds, even with those some are skinnier than others. They all make a difference.

Not aimed at you but sometimes I feel like I'm shouting into the void lol. Knowledge on rider fit has come on leaps and bounds and every horse-rider combo needs a different solution. Even looking at Albion (solid, blocky) compared to close contact like Butet you'll find lovers and hates on both sides.

Once you start to map the pelvis and look at hip conformation compared to horse ribcage shape it's a gamechanger, no potentially compromising deep seats or honking great blocks, and yes, they usually are compromising for rider, and even for the horse (eg leverage on a high cantle).

Let's please move the discussion on from a straw poll.

Last edited:

pixie27

Visit site
Another vote for the Ideal Impala! Mine wasn’t the monoflap though. Saved my life on numerous occasions.. and was devastating when I realised it was the saddle holding me on and not my excellent stickability?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I know monos are fashionable, and clearly it suits you, but they are not the right choice across the board for riders let alone for stick ability. For the wrong person their leg will scoot backwards and leave the rider floundering forwards. I fit some riders with double padded flaps (with three different thicknesses of foam), some in more regular flaps (3 kind of non-padded double flap) and some in monoflaps of various kinds, even with those some are skinnier than others. They all make a difference.

Not aimed at you but sometimes I feel like I'm shouting into the void lol. Knowledge on rider fit has come on leaps and bounds and every horse-rider combo needs a different solution. Even looking at Albion (solid, blocky) compared to close contact like Butet you'll find lovers and hates on both sides.

Once you start to map the pelvis and look at hip conformation compared to horse ribcage shape it's a gamechanger, no potentially compromising deep seats or honking great blocks, and yes, they usually are compromising for rider, and even for the horse (eg leverage on a high cantle).

Let's please move the discussion on from a straw ll.[/

QUOTE]

That's interesting about rider fit. Unfortunately there are any fitters with a range of 2nd hand jumping saddles around me so my knowledge on what I like is limited to Riding in friends saddles. I presumed l would like the saddle on all horses (if correct fit obviously)
I'll be looking for a saddle for another horse soon, who is lighter, how will that affect leg position?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
@Vodkagirly the most likely thing you'll find, depending on exact ribcage shape and where your knee hits, is that your leg sits further back, so if it's in the right place onthe wider horse it will be too far back on the narrower horse. If this happens you may or may not find your pelvis and upper body is being dropped forwards.

mini-eventer

Visit site

Let's please move the discussion on from a straw poll.

Funnily enough I love my K2,

However I also ride in a devoucoux mono flap and feel equally secure in this, would have one in a heartbeat. Although as far as two jump saddles go they couldn't be more different. They both fit me well.

JoA

Visit site
I have a Reactor Panel Pegasus (previously used Free'n'Easy). I don't intend to jump any more (only fallen bits and pieces in the forest) and I love it! I feel secure but not tied in. It can also be adjusted to suit another horse if and when necessary. Horses have had no issues with either F'nE or RP.
Good luck. Saddle hunting comes a close second to the 'downs' of horse hunting

ihatework

Visit site
And to add to your point, a friend was trying saddles and she felt more secure in my t8 jump than impala. I though she was mad ???

Jump saddles are such funny things. I’ve ridden in all sorts over the years, mainly because I’m not too fussy and also exercise ride for people so just get on with what I’m given.
I can ride in a brand on on horse and it feels fine, then on another horse just wrong!

Over the years the only 2 jump saddles I categorically cannot get on with are the ideal impala and the Voltaire’s. Weirdly (given the impala) the old style k2 jump were my default for comfort and feeling secure. But my balance is definitely better in some of the decent mono’s, but I feel a little more exposed. My all time favourite for me as a rider is a double flap devocoux.

Auslander

Visit site
I went from a new shape WIntec Isabel, which I stuck to very nicely when he performed aerial stunts, to an Informed Designs dressage saddle. I didn't realise how much the Isabel helped me stick to the saddle til I went to get off the shiny leather ID at the fitting, and came off the side like a greased rat down an oiled pole! I am still not sure how I stayed on my feet when I hit the ground, but there was staggering and bad language - and my long suffering horse rolled his eyes even more than usual!

SOS

Visit site
My Albion K2 makes me feel very secure but does put me in a slightly feet forward position. Good for hunting and that’s what I used it for.

Surprisingly my Albion Kontrol Jump put me in a better position and I’d choose to ride anything in that (if it fit). Sadly I outgrew that saddle.

Nasicus

Visit site
In addition to saddles fit a R-Stor to the saddle and hold it when riding. It saved me going over the top when DP was going through a very trippy stage caused by crap Farrier and out the side door when spooking sideways.
Another vote for these, although I use an anchor strap as the RS-TOR was hard to get a hold of a the time I was looking.
https://anchorstrap.co.uk/shop/

I also use an Acavallo Gel-Out Seat Saver, that has saved my ass many times! Just the other day young pony did a sideways teleport, my backside was hovering over air for a moment but because my thigh was gripped by the seat saver my body thankfully caught up with the pony. If it were just the saddle I'd looked like a thelwell cartoon with a pony shaped cloud of dust beneath me!