FB/Keratoma

Drummer

Visit site
I have a very wonkey donkey :- (

This morning I had a phone call saying Drum came out very stiff, which isn't like him but he was kept an eye on and came in very lame with a lot of heat in his front feet, one a lot more then the other. The yard rang the farrier who made it there very quickly, we were hoping/assuming there would be an abcess but just as I turned up after legging it from work I arrived at the point of the vet (very luckily being there for another horse) about to remove a 'splinter' as told by my OH who made it there before me. Well both the vet nor farrier has ever seen a growth like it and it is being sent away to be examined as the vet wasn't 100% sure what it was. It looked like a dogs tooth, very odd!!! He is 8/10 lame and a very sorry sight, he was sedated as very painful as you can imagine. It was removed from by the side of the frog and came cleanly out.

I am a big worrier especially with my big man and he has always been 100% seeing him like this is horrible bless him. Just as well he is tougher then me I guess!

I just wondered if anyone else has had anything similar and what the outcome was? A keratoma was loosley mentioned but with it being something they both hadn't seen before is a bit
confused.gif
confused.gif
but I guess it is a similar treatment/outcome??

Having luckily been the owner of souch a sound horse for so long I am out of touch with any vet related going ons so wah.

Sorry just needed to wobble on a bit I think, hope I have some sense!!

Thank you x

CarolineStern

New User
Visit site
Keratoma's are noramally found in the toe area, I have not heard of one anywhere else but you can not rule that out. Hope whatever it is is not too bad and your back riding again soon!