FBHS list - a select bunch

Wishfilly

Visit site
I had no idea it was such a short list! I have been lucky enough to have had a few sessions with Clare Sansom when she has done clinics down this way. As well as being so knowledgable, she is one of the kindest instructors I have ever had- she somehow made me feel confident to do things that really quite terrified me! She also assessed me for my Stage One.

Kat

Visit site
I had a few lessons with Caroline Moore back when I was braver. I did a group clinic and enjoyed it so much I booked some lessons afterwards. I got a huge amount from them, she was really good, and I felt it was good value even though I was very low level at the time.

I didn't even have my own horse, but she really liked the horse I was riding and was very complimentary about her. During the group clinic she kept track throughout the whole session and commented that of the group I was the only one not to have a pole or a stop which I really appreciated (even though it was more down to the fab horse than my riding!)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Good friend of mine was having regular training with Carole Broad and said you’d think you could grab a break, or a quick walk transition etc while she wasn’t looking… and bam, the silence would be broken.

Yes - I remember her sitting in the gallery at HEC, and I was riding down the long side away from her. As I reached the corner I moved my outside hand rein finger about 1/2 an inch or less as the horse started to lean. 'Yes, perfect!' she called. How did she even see that?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I used to train with Peta Roberts, what a wonderful skilfully lady, flat work, jumping, cross country and what an amazing side saddle instructor. I will forever be indebted to her skill empathy and kindness.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have really missed out! There is one on the list who had a local reputation of making pupils cry and ............. no, better not, but maybe they improved as they got older and more experienced.

Certainly an impressive list, heard of nearly all of them, but I think I would have been too frightened to have lessons from any one of them.

teapot

Visit site
It could be me being a bit cynical, but the BHS are really riding off the back of the Fellows who also compete to a high level, or course design, or 5* riders trained by fellows at the moment.

**look at all the shiny things these people do** all over their social media accounts.

Almost like they’re trying to get people back into the exam system… (which from what I’ve heard has dried up a bit).

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Ridden with 5 of them. Some are meh. Some are superb. Surprised actually how many I have had lessons with.

holeymoley

Visit site
I used to have lessons with Eric McKechnie 12years or so ago. I was at an event with Sam York a fortnight ago, really down to earth and a good laugh and so knowledgeable and inspiring at the same time.

SO1

Visit site
Robert Pickles used to come to our yard for lessons really enjoyable but unfortunately there were not enough liveries wanting lessons for it to continue which was a shame.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
It could be me being a bit cynical, but the BHS are really riding off the back of the Fellows who also compete to a high level, or course design, or 5* riders trained by fellows at the moment.

**look at all the shiny things these people do** all over their social media accounts.

Almost like they’re trying to get people back into the exam system… (which from what I’ve heard has dried up a bit).

Since they changed the exams to make them easier, they have de-valued them, unfortunately.

teapot

Visit site
When they rejigged them a few years ago, with the 'coaching pathway'.

In what way are the exams easier than before? When did they become easier?

Tbf Shils, I don’t think they’re easier ime - for example there’s a lot more to do at the Stage 4 and 5 level when it comes to modern yard and business management. The coaching exams cover a lot more than they ever used to as well.

I did some of my 4 & 5 training with well qualified people (way more than what little I have) who were topping up quals, and/or wanting the new qualification, who were being repeatedly caught out by what’s now required. I wouldn’t call that ‘easier’.

I worked with an assessor (was an I) and she felt they weren’t easier at all. However the way in which you can book one here, and one here under the new pathway meant people think they’re easier to do, especially because being signed off as being ‘ready’ was being seen as an automatic pass with zero effort. Said assessor kept saying the quality of the candidate and knowledge had dropped! Should say that was from someone examining across the country at some of the biggest or well know centres.

I think the bigger problem is a.) the old school attitude towards the BHS of teaching in your tweed which really needs to die a death; b.) absolutely nothing happens across the UK to encourage people to train for the higher levels, and c.) cost, hence the pushing of the fund that’s currently available.

Constant videos from FBHS isn’t going to address those issues ?

Last edited:

Mouse19

Visit site
I thought Joan Bates was a fellow. Clearly mistaken.

I think as with most professions - some brilliant people on that list and some others you think ?. I purchased a horse from a training yard run by one of those on the list. The tack they put on it to try really didn’t fit in any shape or form, it was stick thin, shoes falling off and wasn’t sound behind - they were still jumping the horse over 1.10 SJ under the fellows guidance. I got the horse dirt cheap and it did come sound with 9 months rehab.