Feather mites!!!

stolen_fairydust

New User
Visit site
My poor cob is prone to mites. This year they seem to have been particularly bad and I just can't seem to get on top of them.

He's had the jabs and I use the frontline flea spray which usually works fine. His feathers are clipped off and I've just taken him off straw too in the hope that this will help.

I wash his legs with tgel once a week to help get the dandruffy scabby bits away and dry them thoroughly. I also wash any cuts with salt water and apply aloe Vera gel. After trying loads of different methods over the years this seems to have been working fine, until now!

Can anyone recommend anything new to try? His poor legs are so sore and itchy :(

jakkibag

Visit site
Hi the latest thing ive heard about is Diatomaceous Earth, applied directly to legs, its a natural product and not expensive, usually used to get rid of red mite in chickens/coops etc, ive not used it on cobs, but have used it successfully on my peacocks lol, Ive heard its far more effective than the injections, which they can become resistant to. prob best to google D'earth and see what you think. :)

RobinHood

Visit site
We've had great success with dog flea collars round the pasterns, cheap and effective. This is after years of washing, clipping and dectomax injections that did naff all.

Tronk

Visit site
We've had great success with dog flea collars round the pasterns, cheap and effective. This is after years of washing, clipping and dectomax injections that did naff all.
^^ sounds like a great idea! Any particular brand, where from? (Not a dog person!)
I agree that the mites have been particularly bad this year. I've always clipped, washed with hibiscrub and rinsed thoroughly and dried. Then apply veg oil with sulphur powder mixed in. I apply the veg oil mixture whenever he starts the stomp again! Last year only had to do it a couple of times - this year I've lost count! It does work but it is a horrible job applying it and it's not a good look having greasy yellow legs!

Greylegs

Visit site
Watching with interest because my highland is having the same problem. Had a course of injections in the summer and was clear and I thought he'd be fine for a year. Now he's stamping again and one hind pastern is itchy and scabby again. I'm going to try Frontline spray as I don't want to have to take his feathers off if I can avoid it. I got the spray today from the vet (stupid price!) but worth a go. Watch this space, but I'll try a few of the other ideas as well. AARGHH!! Very frustrating, I feel your pain OP.