Feathered cobs?

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
Hello! I would love some advice on feathered cobs, i have one myself and am debating cutting his feathers off, i am thinking this because he has been starting to get builds up of dry mud on them ?
If anybody has any advice then please suggest it, I'm all ears ?

smolmaus

Visit site
Dried in mud is easy brushed off, I find a magic brush does the best job of it. I brush through some mane and tail detangler after. But if you want to clip the feathers nobody is going to stop you!

Clipped legs also makes it easier to spot any skin problems under the feathers, which some cobs are prone to.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've had hairy-feathered cobs for a good few years now.

With my old gal (sadly no longer with us) on vets advice we clipped her legs as she got very itchy - vet couldn't find any feather mites - but she was a lot better off without her hot itchy feathers so we kept them short & clipped (had to sedate her tho').

With my current little traddie coblet (profile pic) I tend to keep hers clipped too; much easier if you're using hoof boots, which we do. Also far easier to see if there is something going on like mites.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I used to clip my traditional cob, as I could not stop the scratching and leg rubbing. Then I discovered that a good selenium based shampoo will do the trick. I use Selsun 2.5%, scrub legs thoroughly right down to the skin, leave on for ten minutes, and rinse, rinse, rinse. I did it every five days initially for the first fortnight, then as and when required. He is now fully feathered and looks a treat.

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
I've had hairy-feathered cobs for a good few years now.

With my old gal (sadly no longer with us) on vets advice we clipped her legs as she got very itchy - vet couldn't find any feather mites - but she was a lot better off without her hot itchy feathers so we kept them short & clipped (had to sedate her tho').

With my current little traddie coblet (profile pic) I tend to keep hers clipped too; much easier if you're using hoof boots, which we do. Also far easier to see if there is something going on like mites.
My cob too has itchy legs and we thought he had mites but we didn't find any because he had feathers, so we treated him, and he seems better now (that was about a month ago)
But I do think I might cut his off soon☺️ thankyou for advice??

Nasicus

Visit site
My cob too has itchy legs and we thought he had mites but we didn't find any because he had feathers, so we treated him, and he seems better now (that was about a month ago)
But I do think I might cut his off soon☺️ thankyou for advice??
By couldn't find any, do you mean with the naked eye? Because you won't be able to see the mites, they're microscopic.

Visit site
Hello! I would love some advice on feathered cobs, i have one myself and am debating cutting his feathers off, i am thinking this because he has been starting to get builds up of dry mud on them ?
If anybody has any advice then please suggest it, I'm all ears ?
They are much easier to care for without feathers and can prevent mites