Feathered legs (scabs) please help.

Zoemary

Visit site
My 14hh cob mare has scabs behind the knees on just her front legs which has formed a kind of indented line, she doesn’t have a huge amount of feather but at the moment I’m currently washing her legs Saturday and pig oiling the same day and repeating the following weekend.

However I was just wondering what’s best to treat “Mallanders”? I think it is, thanks guys.

Attachments

• 9E14A0D9-FF43-42B1-A34A-FE6564C4128A.jpeg
    9E14A0D9-FF43-42B1-A34A-FE6564C4128A.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 7

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've always kept the area trimmed (welsh, enough other floaty feather to not make it obvious) and used sudocreme with added sulphur powder.

SEL

Visit site
I only got on top of Militaire's scabby bits with ivermectin wash from the vets. It took two attempts but zapped the feather mites that were causing the problem and we've had no issues since.

scrat

Visit site
Oh great thank you, is it working?
It's keeping it under control. She was very sore when we first got her and the skin had thickened and cracked. This seems to have soothed the area and she is much better about it bring applied now. I think it is a condition that can only be managed by keeping the skin from drying out too much and cracking. I don't think it can be cleared up entirely. I also find a dog flea comb is useful for gently combing out the dead bits of skin that stay in the feathers. Hope that helps.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Mallanders. My mare has it, she had it on both front legs at first so I got some steroid cream from the vet. That cleared up one leg, still some scabs on the other leg but udder cream/wondergel/aqueous cream and sudocreme have helped. Sadly it's an ongoing thing.
Low sugar low starch diet, no carrots or feeds containing biotin have helped.

Chappie

Visit site
I'm currently using the sallenders and mallenders cream from www.farriersequinecare.com. There is some good advise about this on their Facebook page.

I've had some success with this too! After trying sudeocreme, udder cream, aqueous cream, vitamin e cream, MSM cream (and a couple of other things, I can't even remember them all!) all often daily.

The farriers equine care cream made the most difference with least application, I found - a lovely soft-consistency cream as well, really not too difficult to apply considering my boy had got sore at that point :( and he wouldn't let me cut the feather back, just had to kind of slap a bit on and leave it a few days, fortunately it seemed to have softened up the area.

Cahill

Visit site
sudocream (which is good for lots of other things)can be quite `drying` for this which can cause cracking.

Mucking out - still

Visit site
Hubby's cob had VERY thick feathers and our only solution was to keep them clipped (turned him into a nice hunting-type cob, so I was happy with the look!!) and use pig oil and sulphur mixed. Don't wash too often as they need to be kept dry, though moisturised to prevent cracking. Haven't heard of the cream mentioned earlier...just off to investigate that too! Best of luck in finding the right management for it.