Fed up - advice needed

Troylimbo1

Visit site
I bought my 15.2hh 5yr old Connemara about 18 months ago now after 8 years out of riding.
I got him as a confidence giver which he is. He is an absolute dream to hack and is totally bombproof.
He had a long time out of work through injury which with time and patience has been sorted.
MY DILEMMA - he has been being schooled once a week with an amazing instructor and has gone from being a wobbly green unbalanced horse to a reasonably well schooled horse within about 6 months although when I get on him I just can't get him to move!
I have hacked him out alone, in company, in open spaces etc but nothing seems to give him any zing. Its always a struggle.
I have now decided I want to do a little more eg some local shows etc. I always understood we'd never set the world alight but I just feel so deflated that I am achieving nothing!
So after my lesson today with an instructor based at my yard and getting a different view point I have come to the point where I am beginning to think about selling him. Something I never thought I'd want to do.
So - if I were to try a feed that would spice him up a bit, what would you recommend?
He is not a skinny jim so wouldn't want something that is going to pile on the pounds or make him stupid just a bit of energy!

Many thanks from a down in the dumps horse owner

skewbald_again

Visit site
Red Cell? I know my boss used to give it to her dressage horses if they were a bit flat. Dont' quote me though, my main job is having the opposite effect on kids ponies! Get a second opinion!

Becky'x

New User
Visit site
maybe try him on abit of sugar beat or oats? he mite just be bored, either of schooling or his surroundings ? or do you could do somthing new with him like jumping etc? i had a pony when i was younger and nothing phased him he put no effort into anything and it boiled down to because he was boring was jumping schooling at home.
so we started going down to friends stables and riding there and going on cross country day outs etc he was so different then as we did everything in variety so he never got bored. Im sure your horse would churp up at a show anyway :) good luck

Hope this helped xx

cellie

Visit site
Have you taken him to a show yet.You could find hes just bored with his routine and change of scenery and show will give you springy forward going pony that you want.
My friend has very young warmblood and has fed him competition mix(only 1/4 scoop) just to give him extra bit of oomph

Troylimbo1

Visit site
He had his first show two weekends ago and like you I was thinking this is it...
No - no change at all. Same old Limerick!
We have also boxed to ride in different places, still the same.
The feed thing is sort of a last resort.
I know from reading posts on here that many people would give anything for a sane, sensible ride and all I can do is moan about him lol!

spaniel

Visit site
Troylimbo you need to keep in mind that the instructor is more experienced and probably a lot stronger physically than you are. Its not that you cant do it, its just that you cant do it YET.

From your post it sounds like the instructor has been working your lovely horse so instead why not ensure that you are doing all the riding under instruction from her/him.

You will 'get the knack' eventually and I think you might regret selling such a nice sounding horse for the sake of a few months of work on your part.

This is in no way a criticism, we all need to improve and Im sure many here will appreciate the frustration you are feeling at the moment. Its never a good thing to let someone else ride your horse, it can make you feel totally cr*p!

moneypit1

Visit site
Sell him. Tbh some horses are just not forward going and that is great if you are of the same ilk. I have a DWB that is a lazy so and so but I put up with it because he does his job well (sj). However, I can only put up with one horse like this and have sold several others because they are behind the leg. Oats, Barley, whatever, I have never felt they have changed the horse that much. I think you already know what you want to do so go with it. You are the one who knows what the answer is so do it. xx

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
You could try either Proplus or naf EnERGY - they work well. I hope you do find an answer without having to sell, but then again, it's an expensive hobby if you're not enjoying it (or even if you are!).

Sending you big hugs sm x

hannah28

Visit site
i wouldnt sell him i think you will regret it, its really hard to find a horse like him, i think you just need a little more work, my horse is really lazy in the school but since having lessons im learning with him how to get him to work properly, i would say add a supplement of feed as above and keep up with your lessons trying jumping and maybe try a group lesson, tends to perk the horses up a bit good luck :D