Fed up. Do people loan out anymore?

winterhorses2

Visit site
AAARRGGHHH. Been looking for a horse to loan, but am really struggling. Thought i found one on Horsequest last night, phoned left a message, went to look at the add this morning and it's gone.
I can afford to keep a horse, but as i already own one and a pony, i'm struggling to save enough to buy at the mo. The money always goes on other things lol.
I'm happy to have a contract and the owner can visit as much as they like.
Sorry just wanted to vent.
Anyone have a 16.2+hh weight carrier available to move yards in the North West, message me. Oh yeah and you must be able to at least get on it, not like the one i just returned!

dixie

Visit site
Yes. I know of a couple around near me and I would possibly loan my chap out again if I could find a replacement loan horse I could event. He's a 17hh weight carrier but has his issues - generally sane to ride though.

Keep trying, word and mouth is the best option and speaking to people to get to see a lot of horsey people, such as instructors, pony club etc.

winterhorses2

Visit site
It was by word of mouth i got the last one. He was great on the floor and to lunge, but when i got on.... I don't mind somethings but that was extreme, plus he kicked my OH too.
Thing is i probably want too much, must hack alone and jump... lol

diluteherd

Visit site
Yes! I do - 3 out of 4 loans didnt work out (with 2 different horses - if a loan doesnt work I leave said horse to settle back at mine for about 3-4 months) At the moment 4th loan of second horse is working really well and he's only a stone throw away. I only loan though because Im soft, I recently had to sell one of my horses and I can stop thinking about her :(

Just keep looking, Im sure one will come along eventually! :)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Try a charity, you will be helping out a horse and only a small adoption fee.

Owners are getting very fussy about loaning due to the terrible things that have happened recently.

Dovorian

Visit site
Yes they do!

I have been looking for a part loan/share for ages and been deluged with young teenagers making out they are adults and one person who said that if I would deliver (300 odd miles away) she would 'take' him unseen and untried.

Amazingly I am still trying to find someone!

winterhorses2

Visit site
I've tried charities and they never seem to have anything big enough. :(
I understand the horror stories prevent people from loaning out, thats why i've always said, they can visit whenever they wish. With 2 kids and the horse and pony i already have, going out somewhere else to share a horse is not really time productive lol.
I'll keep looking.

Auslander

Visit site
I think you have to be prepared for the long haul. I've just started looking, for a similar type to you, but with the added requirement of being a decent dressage horse - pref one that has competed at a decent level but now needs a quieter life. I'm fully prepared for it to take a year to find one!

Patterdale

Visit site
I'm having the opposite problem - trying to find a loan home for my horse and there is no one out there either over the age of 15 or not mental. He's a lovely horse 16.2 and hunts, won dressage, hacks alone/company but I just cannot find a competent home! He's not a weight carrier tho but he's not spindly either. I can't believe how hard it has been trying to find someone

ihatework

Visit site
My friend needs to loan one out but is struggling to find someone.

Teenage 16.2hh TB ex-eventer (Intermediate). Had tendon issues so can no longer jump. Needs a happy hacking home. Doesn't buck/rear. Is good in traffic. He's a proper fizzy/bouncy jolly TB type though so not suited to your standard stereotyped happy hacker unfortunately. Central South only.

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I'm having the opposite problem - trying to find a loan home for my horse and there is no one out there either over the age of 15 or not mental. He's a lovely horse 16.2 and hunts, won dressage, hacks alone/company but I just cannot find a competent home! He's not a weight carrier tho but he's not spindly either. I can't believe how hard it has been trying to find someone

:eek: I'm very surprised he hasnt been snapped up yet, he sounds lovely! I was looking for a full loan a couple months back, my old mare had to retire due to severe damage to her feet and I hadnt the money to buy another. I never had any luck in finding what I wanted (your boy is what I was after) so I decided to have a break from horses for a while. Shame as he sounds perfect :( hope you find a lovely home for him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site

Ditto this basically. Last autumn I advertised my boy for loan and I somehow attracted every blimmin fruitcake, menopausal mad-women, keen (but novice teens, and pony club mums; plus psycopathic female ringing me at midnight/early hours repeatedly begging and crying to have my horse - all basically prepared to slit each others throats to get something half decent.

In the end I made an unfortunate choice - and the numpty girl that had him basically turned round after five weeks into the loan and said sorry she couldn't afford it any more; which left me in a mega embarrassing situation with the YO. I brought him home in the end - relatively simple coz I've got my own place, BUT still had to pay the transport.

So I'd never loan mine again; too much hassle, too much trouble, and I know that I was lucky as a lot of people who put their horses on loan never see them again.

I've got a mare on loan at the moment from my trainer; and that's working out brilliantly. Motto being perhaps to ask every friend/contact/instructor you know to keep an eye out for you; coz there's a huge risk in taking on something unknown; a lot of people will try to fob you off with something unsuitable/dangerous if you're not careful and won't tell you about the "issues".

Good luck anyway.

winterhorses2

Visit site
I've got a mare on loan at the moment from my trainer; and that's working out brilliantly. Motto being perhaps to ask every friend/contact/instructor you know to keep an eye out for you; coz there's a huge risk in taking on something unknown; a lot of people will try to fob you off with something unsuitable/dangerous if you're not careful and won't tell you about the "issues".

Good luck anyway.[/QUOTE)

The one with an issue with being riden, came via a friend (read into that what you will lol)

Visit site
Maybe put up a Wanted ad? I'm trying to loan my boy at the moment, and rather than advertise him I would rather put him to riders I feel come across as having the right confidence and competence level in their Wanted adverts.

Someone may have your ideal horse, but are just a bit reluctant to advertise them, and would rather offer than have many people who think they are appropriate ring up. :)

ew0855

Visit site
Think it's abit swings and roundabouts sadly - when I was looking to loan everything decent was for sale (eventually ended up loaning the horse I was having lessons on so literally right under my nose!). Now I'm looking to buy everything round my area is for loan - to stay at their current yard. No advise but can do sympathy!

Tiasmum

Visit site
Mine's sucessfully on loan now for the second time (14.2hh allrounder) I think the good horses are snapped up so so quickly. I was bombarded with enquiries. Hope you find something soon :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
I am trying to find something on loan to move to my yard too. I have worked with recehorses, reschooled exracers, worked with youngsters and even horses that have severe behavioural issues. I'm 5ft11 but 10.5st but have long legs so need something 16hh that will take up my leg a bit, want something to sj, event and just have fun with really. Great facilities at the yard, dont mind visits as often as the owner wants and i would ask to have a contract written up. My main problem is that i'm 16, and people seem to think i have just come off riding school ponies and am in capable of handling a horse. I have rang about various horses, had a chat, told them my experience and facilities as well as my age outright, not going to lie! I have had people say 'awww, i'm sorry but i would rather have an adult loning him/her' fair enough i get that, but i have also had responses like 'oh, only 16? impossible that you have as much experience as you say you do, also you'd need a ladder to get on it' or 'oh god no, i suggest you ring up about a 14.2hh, i'm advertising a 16.2hh horse so i think it'll be too big for you'
That is my main problem, because my birth certificate says that atm i'm 16. :(
Good luck with your search :)

Paris1

Visit site
I would ditto charities,and keep looking at them. Unfortunately the fake loaners who sell horses on say all the things you habe said.
I'm sure something will turn up.

winterhorses2

Visit site
AAARRGGHHH The add i was looking at on HorseQuest re appeared later in the day, my comp being difficult? Anyway after a number of phone calls, arranged to view said horse today at 2pm as the ladies groom didn't work weekends. Got a phone call at 11'30 to say someone else viewed him yesterday and he has now gone. Just a post to vent my frustration really.

jessykai

Visit site
I feel very lucky! I wasn't even looking for a horse, gotten offered Rosie for sale, replied saying I wasnt in a position to buy but that I'd loan her, and that was that lol.

Keeping looking, something will come up soon!

Ladydragon

Visit site
They do... My daughter has had a lovely pony on loan for my grand daughter for a year and I've got an older, ex eventer as a hack for myself and jumping schoolmistress for my teenage son which was an added bonus... We are very lucky to have them and their owners can nip over for cuddles or a quick ride whenever they have the time...

My young QH will be my riding horse but it'll take a good while yet for him to get to that point - so having the mare to loan long term is a huge benefit until he's ready... :)

PS...the pony was a lucky 'catch' as her owner had only just advertised her and was about to pull it as she really wasn't keen on the idea of loaning her beloved girl out... The horse was spotted by a friend who'd seen the advert and let me know... Make sure people know you're looking...

Last edited:

rubysmum

Visit site
yes they do - but it can take a while to find something and you may have to compromise on something - i am currently trialling a horse hopefully to come on long term loan BUt he cribs & windsucks & is probably smaller & less schooled than i would have liked - but is safe & sane unlike a couple of others i tried;)
i made clear in my ads my level of experience, was happy for my employer to be approached to clarify that i had permanent full time employment and was able to provide lots of referees, including a magistrate and have commited to weekly updates and as many spot checks as the owner wants to make
good luck with it:)