Fed up, stressed and dissapointed. What would you do? **long and whingy**

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I can just about understand someone being worried about sending their horse out on loan to someone that they didn't know (although I've done it a few times, and have found the right person and an experienced home each time, so there have never been any problems), however in this case, the OP has been looking after the horse for a couple of years perfectly well, so there would be no reason to worry about the horse going off the yard. Also the owner knows that there are other sharers, and, if I understood properly, has already found the next ones.

OP I think that it may be time to walk away. The offer from your neighbour sounds great (free stabling) albeit a bit too good to be true (buying the other horse for you - there sound to be a few too many ifs and whens about that offer, so I wouldn't be holding my breath...) I too think that you should think about looking at getting a loan to buy your own horse. Theres nothing like it - all the stress of loaning will never happen again! The money you save on travel would easily pay off a small loan.

Twenty miles each day is too far to travel to do a horse, in my opinion. I'd always want the horse within five miles, so that I could walk if the weather was awful, or something happened to my car..

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
That is a really sad situation. Is there any chance at all that you could buy G ? If that is out of the question then I think you need to move on. It seems madness to me to keep a horse at a yard 20-plus miles away when you could have one virtually in your own garden!! It must be dreadful because you've obviously put in a lot of work with this horse and have a strong bond. I think I'd hate to loan, it must be heartbreaking when the horse gets torn away from you. Take time to think it all through but put yourself first because no one else will.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Hi everyone.

Thanks so much for all the kind and helpful replies and advice.

I didn't get much sleep last night thinking about it all but I have made a sort of decision. I think, as I have worked so hard with him over the winter and have endured all the snow, cold, dark evenings etc in order to improve his schooling, I am going to stay with him for a few more months, until end of June, but cut down my days so that I am only doing him 3-4 days a week max. I wil then compete him, as planned over the next few months. Realistically, I have almost taken him as far as he can go anyway, so after a few more months will have hopefully done everything I have wanted to with him. I am going to have fun and enjoy every last minute with my absolute horse of a lifetime :(

On the other days of the week I will continue to school my neighbors horse and get her up to scratch. Once the owner sells her I will either take her up on her offer or loan/buy one and keep it there.

EAST KENT

Visit site
No offense...but if he was that beloved, why did you loan him out? Because you had to? Fair enough- but then don't forget that loaners fulfill a purpose whether it be supporting owners who don't have the time/money/experience. Its not always the owner doing the ''favour''- quite often its the other way around...

It was exactly that..a favour! I have no need of off loading her,now or then , as we have our own acerage. However, never ever again.