fed up :( when to call it a day..

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Last month fox was out of work due to several nasty cuts after being bullied In the field.

Since then everything has been quiet and back to normal.

Went to bring him in today and he has a painful swollen area above his stifle, probably a kick. I'm waiting on the vet calling me back. Not putting this one down to bullying as the troublemakers are in a p paddock and a few of the others have cuts so I tthink they've just been playing rough.

If it's not one thing it's another with him. His windsucking is getting worse despite him being checked by the vet and coming clear. I've had him 7 years and have spent more time paying vet bills and caring for him on box rest than I have actually ridden him.

I know horses will be horses but there comes a point where it's just too much. I feellike I'm actually starting to resent him now. We were supposed to be going a group hack tonight and now everyone will be heading out without me :( it can't be any fun for fox always being injured either. 2 years ago he fractured a leg and the year before he degloved his back legs. I don't know what to do anymore it's becoming a task rather than the fun hobby I used to dlove :(

Nicnac

Visit site
I can really empathise with you. Cracked fetlock followed by op to removed bone chips; caught in fencing - degloved leg; then cut other leg badly; then fell over backwards arsing about in field and broke 3 vertebrae (withers), then got sun stroke and being a wussy TB it had to be complicated BUT fingers/toes etc crossed it's been a couple of years now and I think the stoopid ex-racehorse has finally grown up.

Keep the faith - it's far too hot to ride anyway ;)

Dottie

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run, i'm feeling very much like this at the moment!
Sometimes it feels like problems like this just on coming and you can't see your way out of it. I do think some horses, like people have a self destruct mentality too!
Have you thought of moving yards or having a different turnout situation, as it seems like a lot of his problems come from him being around hooligans in the field. Or maybe putting him on a calmer to chill him out?
He looks like a very cute boy in your sig though and i'm sure you will get through this :)
Good luck. x

sarahann1

Visit site
Aww, that's rubbish :(

I think many of us will have felt something similar at one time or another. Fingers crossed it gets easier for you and your luck turns for the better.

pipwat

Visit site
I can relate, my boy so far this summer has injured his leg. All by himself so was off with antibiotics and danillon. He then tried to slit his throat que more danilon and time off and now he has had an allergic reaction (prob to work) an has big lumps. Again more danilon an time off. I think my horse loves my vet and feels I should be funding lots of carribean hols for her! I must admit if he was my only horse I would be sick of it but thankfully I have little ponio to scoot about on. I feel your frustration

tikino

Visit site
i feel your pain but slightly different in my case as i have lost my 15yr old then my yearling then 6 weeks ago my newly back 4 yr old and all in a space of 16 months so i decided it was make or break and yes i di think of giving up as i honestly didnt think i cope with it any more but i bought a lovely 16h2 gelding by arko and so far so good and have to say i am totally smitten but at the same time terrified that something will go wrong

Elsbells

Visit site
You shouldn't give up when all you need to do is better manage the situation. My mare is in her own individual paddock and has never suffered any attacks in the four years I've owned her and thats because quite simply, there's no other horses in her paddock to inflick any. Yes it's nice to see hem enjoy themselves as a herd but its far to risky for me in a world where most horses have metal weapons fitted to their kicking gear and she's happier uninjured.

Just to add, I've never missed a days riding, simples.

Clodagh

Visit site
Elsbells - it is, IMO, wrong to keep horses in solitary confinement solely for our own convenience although I do see that it might help OP have a rideable horse. At the yard I work at all horses are in solitary, and yes there are no kick injuries but constantly trashed fences and a lot of miserable horses IMO. Some like being on their own but I don't think it does the vast majority any favours, temperament and behaviour wise.

OP, I have 3 horses and they are all broken...and not through playing or fighting, they all did it on their own.

Elsbells

Visit site
Elsbells - it is, IMO, wrong to keep horses in solitary confinement solely for our own convenience although I do see that it might help OP have a rideable horse. At the yard I work at all horses are in solitary, and yes there are no kick injuries but constantly trashed fences and a lot of miserable horses IMO. Some like being on their own but I don't think it does the vast majority any favours, temperament and behaviour wise.

OP, I have 3 horses and they are all broken...and not through playing or fighting, they all did it on their own.

I agree with you to some degree, but I didn't explain properly I guess?

My mare is on her own yes, but she is surrounded by her herd in small paddocks. They can talk and groom each other and can even run about along the fence line. I don't think they miss out at all as they are all without fail, happy and chilled out. It's a small yard with lots going on and it has internal stabling, so although they are segregated they are most defiantly a herd and know each other well. I also think there is less anxiety too. We don't seem to have any big issues with it and all the horses are happy to come in with their owners and hack out alone. It's just how I've found it tbh.

Sadly the OP has not had much luck re; field injuries and is talking about giving it all up. Individual grazing would be the answer and she could enjoy riding her horse again.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
glad im not alone guys.

ellsbells when he degloved his leg a few years back he was alone in a paddock as the week before hed had a cut on his fetlock he got in the stable (idea how he managed it) that was infected so even alone he managed to hurt himself. plus he needs the good grass he loses weight in the blink of an eye.. he is just totally accident prone and worse is only insured for one leg since hes injured all the others so badly!

my friend at the yard is letting me loan her highland youngster that im totally in love with but he is for sale so he could go at any day :( i wish i could take him tbh, having a horse that spends more time injured than not is making me miserable.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It does sound like a management issue. I certainly wouldn't want to have a horse on individual turnout but I'm not sure that I would want to keep a horse on a yard where so many accidents happen. Would you say that the fencing etc, on your yard is in good condition? If not I would say that the answer is to move. If it is, I can only suggest bubble wrap for Fox!

weesophz

www.facebook.com
the fencing is fine, and most of it is covered with hedges except the paddocks. we've tried everything, turning out with boots, the lot. nothing stops him, theres always something and i think he has a crap immune system cos near enough everytime he gets a cut it ends up infected no matter how much we clean or how quick we get it. its never minor with him, the vet jokes about it but its me thats bloody keeping the place in business i think!

my 2 theories are that he is either suicidal or loves when the vet comes a dopes him up and hes a junkie.

horse.love92

Visit site
I must tell you I've been here , had a Warmblood with a collapsed pedal bone , arthritis , blown tendon etc ! He was always lame ! I just gave him to someone as a companion in the end I couldn't cope anymore , too many sleepless nights worrying

weesophz

www.facebook.com
im really starting to contemplate doing the same horselove but hes a poor doing tb so he wouldnt even make a cheap companion for someone. its so annoying cos when hes not injured hes the most amazing horse, does whatever i ask and is so chilled and quiet. nothing phases him. just wish i got to see that more rather than another vet bill though the letter box :(

Shantara

Visit site
I have to give you *hugs*

Ned's been lame for 2 months now and even that short time is driving me mad. I feel like I've failed him!! His little friend E doesn't get to ride him anymore and I know it's upsetting her too, she's very mature though and understands, but I can tell she really misses him.
Not only that, but all my friends are going out on fun rides, or going out and getting rosettes...then there's Ned, standing in a field, eating all my money :( I don't have a penny to spare anymore. I too am hating horse ownership at the moment :( I can't imagine what it must be like to have a horse that's been in and out of work for so long :(
*more big cuddles*

Elvis

Visit site
I sort of know how you feel, I've only had my horse since October. He fell in the trailer being transported to mine and needed weeks off after to heal, and cost ££££'s in physio bills, then he moved yards and caught a virus which really ran him down, then his liver tried to pack in, cue thousands of pounds and months off, then he was bought back in to work to then cut himself in the field and need a week off with regular salt watering and sudocreaming, then he did in his back again, hopefully something that can be fixed by a physio who I need to call tomorrow. However unfortunately these things do happen, all I can recommend regarding the poor immune system would be immuplus by global herbs which I put elvis on after his liver problems (combined with restore), I think it helped with preventing his cut getting infected and with him being on a very busy competition yard his chance of getting a virus is increased and I do think the immuplus has helped. Fingers crossed your boy stays out of the wars