Fed up with 'neglectant' livery on yard I stable on

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Ok I'm probably having a bit of a rant here but I am so mad. This lady often doesnt muck her horses out, just pushes the muck to one side and puts a bit of clean bedding in, i'm used to that, not that I think it's fair but at least they are fed and watered....but yesterday she turns up, clearly cba and just fills their waterbuckets half full and said they can make do with the bit of hayledge in nets until tomorrow morning cause she'd be up first thing, well, 1. there wasnt enough to last them 2 hours never mind over 12 and 2. it was past 3pm when someone eventually came to take care of them. Usually the girls on the yard notice and will fill water and hay when they can but this is partly why I feel this livery is being particularly lazy - cause she knows the other people won't see the horses go without. RSPCA/HAPPA aren't interested as horses are in good condition (mainly due to the care and attention of other people not the owners!) and the YO said "Well what can I do?". Just totally sick and fed up of it. They're lovely horses too. Such a shame and waste.

Headpiece

Visit site
Very fustrating for you.:mad:

I just dont understand why people are like this, horses are so expensive that if she doesnt want them, why not sell?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Can the yard owner not start charging her for the extra services her horses are getting? I think they need to chat to her at least, check everything is ok with her etc and there's no particular reason why she's being negligent, then prehaps set some ground rules that horses need to be checked on by a set time each morning or else they will be done for her and she will be charged. Same at night.

Fii

Visit site
Are the horses not out at all??? As in turn out.

I would have to say something myself.
Also it is the yo responsability, she should be making sure every horse o n her yard is well looked after!!

Navalgem

YO has said something to her on a number of occasions but this woman just doesnt seem to care. Her attitude is 'it'll be right'. Perhaps charging is an idea.. I just want to smack her, she doesn't deserve horses, I wish somehow they'd be taken off her. It's ridiculous how little anyone can do.

Fii, sadly we don't have winter turnout on this yard, they can be turned in the arena for 20 mins if no one is riding. Grazing wise, I try to take mine for a wander on the lane to nibble the verge.

JoBird

Visit site
I feel very sorry for you. I cant believe your YO only allows horses 20 mins out a day but added to this to see horses without hay must be very upsetting. I agree with the others - hit the owner where it hurts (in the pocket) and leave bills (either from YO or any livery that has to tend to the horses). Type up a notice stating horses must be ...... by .... (time) or charges for part livery will be incurred. I would also definitely lobby your YO for more turnout - surely there is a yard area or even an area of car park that could be used if not any grass. Feel very sorry for you and the horses and makes me realise just how lucky I am. x

Supertrooper

Visit site
Poor horses and you as having been in that situation I know how frustrating it is!! I had this at a livery yard I kept my horse at. Lady with a unhandled 13yr old mare, at least this horse was in a field but it was never looked at, didn't have feet done (amazingly in the few years it was there they never grew that long) was never given anything extra feed wise in winter and she never checked that the mare had water. It was only because the other liveries gave the mare hay and topped up water that the horse looked well.

I rang world horse welfare (didn't bother with RSPCA) and they said as the mare wasn't thin etc then it was upto livery yard owner to care for her if the owner wasn't! I think from reading other things that the livery owner could be prosecuted if they didn't provide care for the horse if the horse was then found to be neglected but I may be wrong.

We had a few 'chats' with this lady and someone even offered to take the mare off her hands but she wasn't having it and eventually moved her somewhere else. Have since found out that she had another horse that she kept in a stable, it was upto the top of the door in muck and she was prosecuted for this.

There are no easy answers I'm afraid, at the end of the day normal people who have a conscience will look after her horse for her and if they don't she won't care. Why they have them I don't know!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well I feel sorry for all the horses on your yard. 20 minutes maximum turnout is disgraceful IMO.
If the horses you are posting about are in as good condition as the others on the yard, then I'm not really sure what your problem is. It is up to the YO, whether s/he charges for services and really has nothing to do with any other liveries.

Navalgem

That sounds awful supertrooper, and to think they got another horse! :eek: YO would care for the horses if no one else did, so she isn't really at fault, but we just can't persuade this woman to look after them properly or sell them. They would be neglected if the other liveries/YO didn't look after them but we couldn't bear to let that happen in order for this woman to be prosecuted.

Pearlsasinger: what my problem is? my problem is the horses owner doesnt take proper care of them and as I've said if the rest of us didn't take care of them the horses would be a mess.

Irish_only - I totally agree.

L&M

Visit site
My liveries have a clause in their contract that if I do not deem that they are providing adequate care for their horse, I will do so on their behalf and charge accordingly - luckily all my clients are lovely and have never had to do this.

I think the YO needs to grow a backbone and deal with the situation.......

not_with_it

Visit site
Let them get on with it, as harsh as it sounds nothing you can say or do will change them.

I can sympathise as the horse in the stable next to mine is the same. Owner comes once a day and stays for 1/2 an hour max. The furthest he walks is to the end of the corridor and back when he is tied up to be mucked out. We have small turnout areas where we can put them whilst we muck out but ours are turned out anyway. He never has enough hay to last the night let alone the following lunch time when lazy ass owner decides to turn up. Once a week if that she will take him for a hack and bezz around returning 3 hours later.
She doesnt work and cant be bothered to look after him properly. There is no point in charging her as she doesnt pay her bills anyway. YO is too soft IMO.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
T

Pearlsasinger: what my problem is? my problem is the horses owner doesnt take proper care of them and as I've said if the rest of us didn't take care of them the horses would be a mess.

But that ISN'T your problem. It is between the YO and the livery. If you are feeding the horses, then don't. Leave it to the YO, it is her responsibility to make sure that the horses are properly looked after (legally as well as morally).

Piglet

Visit site
OMG some scary stories, having sold our house with with land last year I have had to move him to a livery yard and I am lucky where I am as it is quite small and everyone looks after their horses, hopefully I will never be in the horrible situation that some of you guys are. :eek:

Navalgem

But that ISN'T your problem. It is between the YO and the livery. If you are feeding the horses, then don't. Leave it to the YO, it is her responsibility to make sure that the horses are properly looked after (legally as well as morally).

Ah get you now, I can see your point. She there isn't more that welfare agencies can do to protect horses from this, but then I guess it opens up a whole can of worms... :( sigh.

ruby1512

Visit site
Why does these lazy sods have horses in the first place? I can't get my head round it, she needs to be locked in a stable for hours on end with bugger all to eat or drink see how the lazy bitch likes it!!!!!!

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I can totaly understand how you feel. My lad is in with two horses whose owners are like this. One comes up once maybe twice a week. She uses her being at college as an excuse (err i work over 45hours a week and still get there at least once a day!), she doesnt drive, horse is kept around 20-30min drive from her, so she can only go up when her family are willing to take her. Even when she comes up she doesnt bother to put any hay out in field. she has a lovely cob but she is scared stiff of him. She insists she insnt and argues when people tell her to sell him and get something a little smaller. I personally think this is because he is a very very good doer and she wouldnt be able to cope with somethign that actually needed hard feed everyday!

The other lady, well i saw her the other day for the first time in well over 2 weeks. She has the sweetest little mare but again in scared stiff of her (and i think the other 2 in field) If she puts hay out, it's 3 tiny piles thrown over the gate (not good when we had all the rain and mud!) and she wont bring hers in to feed, instead she puts feed in for all 3! AND she wants to bring 2 youngsters to the yard!!

YO drew up a contract stating you must go down to see your horse ATLEAST once a day, and these 2 signed it and are breaking it. YO had a word with them both but it seems to have gone in one ear and out the other! So it's always down to me to make sure they all have hay, that they automatic drinker is working etc. It's actually getting to the point i'm seriously thinking of leaving the yard. I have one horse for a reason, i dont have the time to look after 3! I feel my lad is missing out on attention because of their 2!

So after my mini rant, yes i can totally sympathise!!

Visit site
Know how you feel, we have a horse that has been abandoned by its owner, really upsetting, cant seem to get anything done about it.

Marydoll

Visit site
My liveries have a clause in their contract that if I do not deem that they are providing adequate care for their horse, I will do so on their behalf and charge accordingly - luckily all my clients are lovely and have never had to do this.

I think the YO needs to grow a backbone and deal with the situation.......

I agree with this.
I also wouldnt be on a yard with no winter turnout, 20 mins in a school doesnt cut it for me or mine

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Ok I'm probably having a bit of a rant here but I am so mad. This lady often doesnt muck her horses out, just pushes the muck to one side and puts a bit of clean bedding in, i'm used to that, not that I think it's fair but at least they are fed and watered....but yesterday she turns up, clearly cba and just fills their waterbuckets half full and said they can make do with the bit of hayledge in nets until tomorrow morning cause she'd be up first thing, well, 1. there wasnt enough to last them 2 hours never mind over 12 and 2. it was past 3pm when someone eventually came to take care of them. Usually the girls on the yard notice and will fill water and hay when they can but this is partly why I feel this livery is being particularly lazy - cause she knows the other people won't see the horses go without. RSPCA/HAPPA aren't interested as horses are in good condition (mainly due to the care and attention of other people not the owners!) and the YO said "Well what can I do?". Just totally sick and fed up of it. They're lovely horses too. Such a shame and waste.
The YO has a duty of care, and can throw the person off her yard if she chooses, so she is also negligent in my opinion. Speak to World Horse Welfare and they will come and talk to the owner.
This is due to lack of proper management, I have seen it on yards where there is no proper control, I don't understand why people keep horses if they don't want the work.

Last edited:

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Natalie I have been reading through your posts and have to thankyou for giving me a good laugh, however this post is just hilarious!

Ok so moving past the fact that you claim to get on with everyone on the yard (or did), yet you constantly b***h about them (big example above). You have twisted the events to make me look bad to a bunch of strangers who don't really give a s**t! Why? Are you on the yard 24/7? Do you moniter how many times i go up a day?

Well let me give you a clue, I just timed my visits to minimize contact with the yard b***h, who was rude, arrogant and thought herself above everyone else, and who sadly enough I have found out only today what a lonely little soul she really must be!

So please continue spouting this rubbish, share with a bunch of strangers what you had for dinner, i care not, as we all know who everyone really disliked and it wasn't me!

How did you know she was talking about you??

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Agree YO should step in and charge her.

When I was on livery I ended up looking after the YOs daughters pony as she couldn't be bothered to give the old mare hay or water or poo pick. Felt terrible feeding my boy and being whinnied at by the hungry old girl ( she was quite thin) I also changed rugs and turned out and brought the mare in. It was very frustrating!

Two years down the line the daughter then sold the pony complete with one of the rugs I bought her.

Speak to the YO or else you may find yourself effectively providing a full livery service for the lazy owner for free.

guido16

Visit site
This post is from March 2011!! WTF!

I assume someone has realised that someone else is talking about them! Ooooops!

My thoughts exactly. When I started reading it I presumed it must have a good punch line since it had a 2011 start date. I was right, it did.

Wouldn't like to be on that yard tonight. Still wonder how on earth the second poster worked out that the first poster was slagging her off on HHO!

Don't you just love HHO