Fedding the underweight dog?!?!

Visit site
Hi. I have a very active small jack russell x who is a year old and spends most of the day running around on the yard
smile.gif

He doesn't look under weight just extremly lean but you can feel all of his ribs, vertebrae etc. He has a healthy coat, eyes, nails etc and is wormed regularly.

He is fed iams, which he likes (he's quite fussy when it comes to dry dog food) and he will eat upto 100 grams a day. He also gets a small amount of chicken stock most days. Does anyone have any suggestions as to additional food's i could feed him that are good for him?

Any suggestions much appreciated
grin.gif

x x x

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Yellow Dog has spent most of his life underweight - he's v fussy about food and was once diagnosed as anorexic
crazy.gif
He's currently on Baileys working dog food and he's only 1kg underweight now
smile.gif

Blue-bear

Visit site
Tripe, if you cant stand the smell of the fresh stuff, Butchers do a tinned version that has veg etc in it. All mine love it and has done wonders for my JRT.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Salmon oil and veg oil can be added to bulk up too.
Crack an egg in there, try natural yoghurt. Tuna, sardines are good.

Tripe is good too.

TBH I would rather have a lean dog than a fat dog (and at the moment, I have one of each
blush.gif
)

louiseandsadie

Visit site
Switch him to puppy food (increased nutrient density). Is he reallly underweight though or just underweight in comparison to other people's dogs (who are usually carrying a bit too much extra weight IMO)?! You should be able to easily feel his ribs - just not see them that easily. He's probably fine
smile.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is he reallly underweight though or just underweight in comparison to other people's dogs (who are usually carrying a bit too much extra weight IMO)?! You should be able to easily feel his ribs - just not see them that easily. He's probably fine
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A-men
smile.gif