Feed advice for conditioning a horse who's "full of beans"

delbino7

Visit site
Any advice welcome, horse could do with a bit of conditioning put on. He's out during the day and in at night with 3 hayledge nets in. I give him the option to graze permanently.

He's been away schooling and he came back more under conditioned than I'd like coming into winter so introduced him onto hard feed currently on dengie AlfaA with oil (red bag) and Saracen conditioning mix. Just under a full scoop of each twice daily. This is working a treat putting condition on him but he's becoming very very full of himself since being on hard feed just hyper, a bit bargy etc.

Any feeding advice. Luckily I've had good doers in the past but he drops weight when he's in full time work. Any feed advice welcome he's a 16.3 shire x tb.

Fiona

Visit site
Allen and page fast fibre plus any brand of high fibre cubes...

It's low sugar and starch so will not cause fizziness and has put weight on our elderly first ridden pony without making her silly.

Fiona

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Do you have any pictures of the horse in its' present condition? One man's underweight is another's fit and ready to do a job....

Pinkvboots

Visit site
alfa oil can be like rocket fuel for some horses and many mixes are full of molasses which can also make some horses silly, I would try a different chaff with micronised linseed, copra or equi jewel all good for putting on weight but without making them hyper.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Swap the alfa a for readigrass
Add linseed and rolled oats

If you need a hard feed (IE a complete feed) try slobbermash

Got Fig looking fat with no beans!

Aspire

Visit site
Allen and Page Cool and Collected or Calm and Condition, or if you prefer to stay additive free try readigrass, Emerald Green grass pellets and micronised linseed with a vitamin and mineral supplement. Mine get Top Spec balancer.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm finding Mr B is quite full of himself at the moment although he's not getting any hard feed. Our grass is quite "spring like" ATM and several friends are finding their horses are quite bright, combination of grass and cool weather we think. When I first got Mr B he was a bit underweight but I found Calm and Condition didn't suit him, I just introduced veg oil to a balancer + unmollased chaff and ad lib forage and he put on weight slowly but without fizz. He's 7/8 TB.