Feed advice for very laid back Connemara

Jo C

Visit site
Has anyone got any good feed advice for a very laid back Connemara, he is 14 in medium work and currently on 1 scoop of Spillers Instant energy mix, 1/2 scoop oats and 1/2 scoop Alfa A? (Its one of the large rectangular scoops as opposed to the round ones, I'm a useless Mummy and I don't know the weights sorry). He is so laid back and lacking energy its untrue. Any ideas anyone? I think a radical change in feed may be needed as he also has terrible wind
blush.gif
but don't know if this means anything, he certainly never used to have wind as bad as this. Droppings are all fine and he doesn't show any colicy signs.

hannah87

Visit site
have u checked all the usual things teeth, back etc? has he alwys been so laid back and lacking energy or is this a recent thing? in the rite quantities i think soya oil can add energy but he sounds s tho hes on a high energy diet as it is so if ur sure theres nothing wrong with him, mayb increase it till he has the energy ud like?or try around with different energy feeds as not all feeds work for the same horses

Jo C

Visit site
Teeth and back are checked regularly, I'm slightly concerned he has some sort of virus but his normal bloods are abnormal (I know I know, strange pony) so don't really want to go down that route if I can help it, as he gets tested, they phone up tell me its bad and he needs this that and the other, which he gets, then nothing in the bloods changes and they decide its just normal for him. In the meantime I've spent well over £100. I think I may have to play around with different companies feeds.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
What is his weight like? To be honest some horses are very laid back naturally and feed may not help. He should get all the energy he needs from that you could always try adding a supplement like Propell from equine america that can give an energy boost.

Jo C

Visit site
He has got more laid back as he has got older, used to be a nightmare and kept bucking me off, now its too much trouble to buck. His weight is on the well covered side but not fat, if I decrease the food he drops off to racehorse weight in a couple of weeks, he really isn't your typical native!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
How fit is he anyway? I know you said medium work but what is work to you might be a walk in the park to others (no offence meant!)
The diet doesn't sound too bad; what's his grazing like and how long is he out? He might be so full that he is bloated. Is he brought in from the field and ridden straight away or allowed to stand for an hour, that might make a difference, I can't work after a meal! Could it be that he's bored with what you are asking him to do, there's always that?

If it was me, I would put him on a 'get hunting' fit campaign; long slow work, making him walk out briskly the whole time, increasing distance all the time but don't increase the food until he's moved up several levels and is striding out with somewhere to go, not bumbling along as he sounds to be doing now. I would not be going into the school until he is a lot fitter (but you have to drag me into one anyway!)

Jo C

Visit site
He is fairly fit, schooled 2-3 times a week for at least 40 mins mostly at trot and canter, competing at elementary dressage, about 1 - 2times a fortnight. One hour lesson every fortnight and hacking (canter work over stubble fields at present) the rest of the time with a day off a week.
Grazing is not great and he is out during the day, doesn't seem to make a difference if he is ridden straight off the field or out of the stable after a night in. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have hit the nail on the head with the boredom factor. I think I may have to sort out some cross country or something like that. Thanks for your thoughts

flyingfeet

Visit site
The grass this year has been terrible in terms of too much of it

Most people competing have been unable to do this from the field this year, as they are full of grass and unable to perform

In addition if you are looking for engergy feed - Topspec Turbo is amazing, although has made my youngster a bit loopy. They have previously been fed many competition mixes and tiger oats with no effect. However this stuff is rocket fuel.

Jo C

Visit site
Right off to look into TopSpec Turbo, the grass really isn't great where Patrick is but I agree generally it just hasn't stopped growing this year.