Feed Advice for weanling

Pinkatc

Visit site
I’ve taken the plunge and bought a youngster, due to arrive once weaned. The breeder has been very helpful with advice, but unfortunately the feed they use (Bluegrass foal and yearling) doesn’t seem to be available anywhere near me outside of Ireland.

What do you use for your babies? He’s an ID if that’s of relevance.

TheMule

Visit site
Assuming he's living out in a group- good grass or grass supplemented with hay/ haylage and a bit of Suregrow with a mineral supplement.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I recommend Suregrow balancer and a form of fibre and plenty of hay/grass.

I haven’t fed a mix or cube to my now 4yr old and I bought him as a weanling. Swapped him from suregrow balancer to Bailey lo cal when he turned four. He’s still on a basic balancer fibre and oil diet.

millitiger

Visit site
Plenty of good grass and/or hay/haylage.
And a handful of SureGrow.

Please do NOT feed any stud mix or cubes as a default- there should be no need unless you are overprepping youngsters for the sales or show ring.

Lyle

Visit site
We feed a balancer pellet, plenty of hay and Full Fat Soy. FFS has an excellent protein profile for horses. Might be worth looking into :)

dorsetladette

Visit site
Could you ask the breeder to send you a bag of their feed with him ? Will just make the weaning/travelling easier on him. Then gradually change him to a similar product over here ?

Yep my 'bought from the breeder' youngster came with a bag of what he was on. This gave me time to introduce the feed I could source locally. Breeder also left me with a couple of days worth of her haylage so the transition to my hay was gradual.