feed advice!

TarantuLove

Visit site
I have a 19 year old poor doer TB who is currently out of work.
He needs an alfalfa-free, high fat/calorie diet which is not high in protein - it makes him footy. He is also very fizzy/spooky so cannot be something that will send him off his head.

Any help? :)

trottingon

Visit site
You'd probably be best contacting the feed manufacturers' helplines. I've contacted Spillers, Baileys and Top Spec amongst others in the past and have found them very helpful.

Firewell

Visit site
Spillers conditioning chaff, pasture cubes or staypower cubes, speedie beet, supermarket veg oil and pink powder :)

horseyman

Visit site
Why would you be worried about Alfalfa? Obviously you would be worried about it if protein concerns you. But why does it concern you?
Most compound feeds as a rule, if they are high in energy (calories) then they will also be high in protein. Most extruded supplements (high oil supplements) are also very high in protein. But if you work out the grams fed per day, it will work out quite low.
What size is your horse?

horseyman

Visit site
My boy is 16.3hh, any alfalfa based product he has gone silly on for some reason!

That is fair enough! I wouldn't have an issue ever with a horse being on an alfalfa based product, providing that it is fed in the right quantities. How does protein make him 'footy'?
Do you need some extra weight and condition for him?