Feed advice

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
My mare is looking a bit thin, you can see her ribs - condition score of 3-4. I’ve feed her half a scoop of cool conditioning, pure balance, a handful of chaff and a bit of fast fibre / oil twice a day - and have added some linseed. She has access to ad-lib hay, but tends to be in the other field during the day. I was also giving her a net of haylage at night. She lives with a mini Shetland who steals her food, if not tied up when she eats.

I know the grass will be through soon, my grazing is old and doesn’t seem as fattening as other pasture. I’m keen to put on some weight on her and muscle.

It’s her first winter with me and living out, so I don’t think I’ve got feed / rugging etc. quite right. There is a 12 x 12 field shelter for her and they’re shut on a hard standing area overnight with the hay / shelter (then open it up during the day so they can access trashed winter grazing, that said poos are green so definitely grass). She was a good doer with her previous owner.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Thats not the best feed for weight gain. I'd swap to grass nuts and a top dressing of rice bran oil pellets. You can keep up the linseed as well, but just be aware that too much oil comes with its own issues

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thats not the best feed for weight gain. I'd swap to grass nuts and a top dressing of rice bran oil pellets. You can keep up the linseed as well, but just be aware that too much oil comes with its own issues

Thanks. I didn’t realise grass nuts where good for weight. I stocked up on cool condition cubes last week, so will think about phasing! I guess I could feed them as well? As working from home could give an extra meal.

Will watch oil probably feeding 200ml a day. And keep up with the linseed. Will have a look at rice bran oil pellets.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thanks. I didn’t realise grass nuts where good for weight. I stocked up on cool condition cubes last week, so will think about phasing! I guess I could feed them as well? As working from home could give an extra meal.

Will watch oil probably feeding 200ml a day. And keep up with the linseed. Will have a look at rice bran oil pellets.
I suggest that you actually weigh your feed. It's usually surprising how little some feeds weigh.