Feed bin advice

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Feed room is chokka (as they usually are when everyone gets the round bins). So I am looking at the stackable type - mainly advertised as recycling bins.

Has anyone used these before? If so, hod did they hold up and dd you use the 30ltre or 50litre? I have seen Ikea do 60l ones. Roughly 15kg oats would fill 34 litres, I know that much.

One of my old bins is actually there from my old horse in 2012 - I hadn't realised that the loaner had left it. Id feel a bit cheeky taking that back, even though it has his name on it.....They are rectangular and slim.

Advice please. TIA.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I dunno but I use an old fridge freezer on its side. The tall fridge holds a full bag of chop (nothing else seems to manage) and the freezer holds a bag of mix and a bit...

Shay

Visit site
What a clever idea! But might they be very difficult to fill when the bottom one is empty and the top ones too full to lift? If you can get around that (and there is no risk a heavy one might fall I suppose) then seems a good space saver.

gryff

Visit site
This us what most of us use in our yard. You can easily get a 20kg sack of feed, sugarbeet, etc in them. They save so much room and look really neat and tidy. Most of us then use a standard dustbin for chaff.
The top ones are never too heavy to lift to get to the bottom ones for refilling. They're only going to be 20kg max.

Rlister89

Visit site
I use the Ikea boxes as well and find them really useful, can easily get a bag of 20kg nuts in them and the box at the bottom doesn't break if the top one is too heavy which is what I worried about! I have three stacked on top of each other and save so much room that way.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
I use the Ikea boxes as well and find them really useful, can easily get a bag of 20kg nuts in them and the box at the bottom doesn't break if the top one is too heavy which is what I worried about! I have three stacked on top of each other and save so much room that way.

I’ve not found the Ikea stacking boxes to be fully airtight, to preserve feed.

I prefer a mix of these – https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...asyqs21QM:&usg=__vuc22zPUaavN76SFuzvKGE-81Qk=

And these https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...TQhpMO5kM:&usg=__zWkKlLBf8vVskFux4Z6VDVJT19M=

I find the smaller ones hold 20kgs of nuts, and stack.

The bigger ones hold 20kg of microninsed linseed / copra and stack.

Are compact and airtight.

Lots of Indian restaurants will save their mango chutney drums for you. Or can buy online from Amazon.

AppyLover

Visit site
The Ikea things look like a brilliant idea I will have to remember that if we at some point get a feed room big enough for all our bins etc :)

BigPony

Visit site
I have the Ikea ones, nuts in the bottom one, chaff in the top 2, you can just about get a standard bag of chaff in the 2 if you squeeze them down.

I put 2 bits of wood across the lid of the bottom one to spread the weight.

You can get 2 bags of nuts in one at a push.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I’ve not found the Ikea stacking boxes to be fully airtight, to preserve feed.

I prefer a mix of these – https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...asyqs21QM:&usg=__vuc22zPUaavN76SFuzvKGE-81Qk=

And these https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...TQhpMO5kM:&usg=__zWkKlLBf8vVskFux4Z6VDVJT19M=

I find the smaller ones hold 20kgs of nuts, and stack.

The bigger ones hold 20kg of microninsed linseed / copra and stack.

Are compact and airtight.

Lots of Indian restaurants will save their mango chutney drums for you. Or can buy online from Amazon.

Unfortunately space is an absolute premium. I currently have 2 bags squeezed in a corner and 1 black bucket type bin under a counter. There is no more room for 2 round bins without having to pull them out from under the counter each time and whilst can be done, its a PITA. So have basically an area the width of a feed bag to work with so up we go.

I think will have to go for the ikea ones and may line the lids and attach some of that rubber seal that you can get for doors.

In my ideal world we would all have those stainless steel feed skips and lockers in the tack room (that is another story :( - pay the same livery but expected to have 1/4 the space as everyone else just because we have a pony not a horse :( )