Feed costs advice

matt_m

Visit site
Hi,

Was wondering if you could all offer me some advice.

I may soon have the chance of taking on a lovely horse on full loan. I have a choice of two yards. The horse has lived out for the past few years and the owner would prefer a live out arrangement, as it seems to suit the horse better. The mare is a 16hh TB X.

She is not fed in the Summer and only has 24/7 grazing and hay, but in the autumn and winter on top of this, she also gets two daily feeds of fibre cubes. I am not sure how much she consumes at each sitting, but maybe you could give me a rough idea. She will be in light work (light hacking and schooling 3-4 x a week in the evenings).

My dilemma is, one yard charges £20 a week grass livery inclusive of hay but hard feed is obviously NOT included. The other charges £40 a week inclusive of hay AND hard feed.

Both yards are lovely and have good facilities, good gazing and would suit the horse wonderfully, but what do you think would work out best from a cost perspective?? Many thanks for your opinions!

s4sugar

Visit site
Feeding half a kilo a day a 20kg bag would last for 40 days.
@ a kilo a day for three weeks and I doubt this feed is £10 a bag.

All else being equal the cheaper yard wins.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Regardless of what you are feeding, you shouldn't be getting through £20/week of feed!! Maybe if you include supplements, but normal mixes/feeds/nuts for a regular horse should cost that much :)

And £40/week for grass livery, even if it includes ad-lib hay, would have to be pretty special for the price :eek:

ihatework

Visit site
Sacks of food are 20kg. A large level scoop of nuts is approx 1.5 kg. a sack of nuts will probably cost £9-10 for a reasonable brand. How much she will eat I cannot tell you, best to ask whoever looks after at the moment.

On paper the £20 a week yard sound the best value, however it doesn't mean it's the best yard. If it includes year round hay then it is such good value that I would be concerned on the quality and quantity of hay given.