Feed for cob type in medium work / competition ?

viceversa

Visit site
(Also posted in horse / feeding) :)

Looking for feed suggestions for my horse please!
He is 11 years old, 15hh lightish cob type. He is worked on average 6 times per week, with a mixture of jumping, schooling, fast hacking and canter work. Schooling usually 30-45 mins as he finds it mentally tiring, hacking 1hr+ mainly trot and canter. Canter work once every 5-7 days when fields allow.
Has been competing every week / fortnight all summer at 80cm sj, hunter trials, ode and a few drsg tests, and will now spend the winter drsg & sj interspersed with hunting.

I'm looking for a feed to provide him with enough 'oomph' and stamina for the work required, particularly the fast work, without making him silly, as he can be quite spooky-sharp at times. He is a good doer in summer but can drop off a bit in winter, so even though he is a cob type, something 'conditioning' isn't a total no-go, although I am not primarily 'feeding for condition'.
He has been on D&H staypower muesli which seemed pretty good so may go back to that, but just seeing if there are better alternatives out there!

Ideas welcome! Thank you :)

Toffee44

Visit site
My mares workload is 3-5 days fast hacking school & soon hunting she is a good doer. Currently on baileys lo cal, half scoop oats and now grass is going I will add speedi beet and maybe hi if lite if she needs it.

Found the oats and balancer really gave her the oomph I wanted without the pounds being put on.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Was going to say some oats, I've just used rolled oats, mind you made no effect at all on my pony! but then he's very laid back.

Allen and Page Power and Performance? barley/molassed free so shouldn't sent him loopy :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I used Spillers slow release competition mix on my show horse, along with linseed, speedibeet and reddi grass, plus adlib good quality hay or haylage.

My lad is a huge sport horse, the Spillers feed gave him plenty of omph but without silly spooky behaviour, the linseed kept the top on. I didn't feed anywhere near the quantities recommended on the bag.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :) I like the sound of the Spillers. What is the linseed used for exactly? I've heard good reports about it for coat condition..

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've got a Connie type (15hh-ish 7yo, I think prob Connie x bit of cob. He is an average doer, maintains a nice weight through the summer though drops off when he's in harder work and doesn't get fat even on good grass. Will lose it over winter even with adlib hay. Working 5-6 days per week; 3x schooling, 1x lunge, 1x hack and then either 1x hack, jump, maybe lesson, competition (SJ, DR, ODE).

He really heats up on certain feeds so I have to be careful as he's quite sharp and gets silly if I'm not careful. He's been on Safe & Sound for ages but needs more nutritious feed because he's still filling out, getting stronger and building muscle. Switched him to Dengie Healthy Tummy about 3 weeks ago and he looks superb on it, really pleased. Hasn't heated him up, he has more energy and stamina but without too much silliness. He also gets micronised linseed, and I've noticed he does drop a bit of weight if I don't give that.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thanks for the replies :) I like the sound of the Spillers. What is the linseed used for exactly? I've heard good reports about it for coat condition..

Micronised linseed is useful for various things. It certainly puts a decent coat and skin on them, it puts calories in and improves feet. i have also found it helps with mallenders/sallenders and itchy skin.

tiga71

Visit site
My lad is a lightweight cob, 15.1 and is in medium work. Worked 6 days a week - 1 hrs flat lesson, 45 min jumping lesson, 1 longlining session, 1 short 1.5 hour fast hack, 2 longer hacks up to 4 hours with lots of fast work. Plus HT, endurance & Trec competitions as and when.

He is on half a scoop of Pure Working with added balancer twice a day. This gives him plenty of energy for everything he does and he still has plenty left in the tank after a 40 km endurance ride. He does go up to three quarters of a scoop when there is no grass if he is working particularly hard. He has a lovely shiny coat on it and seems to thrive on it.