Feed for Cushings horse

Mari

Visit site
My 21 yr old gelding has Cushings. I know his feed should be less than 10% starch/sugar combined. I would ideally like a mix of some sort so that I can add supplements/medicine when needed. Any recommendations?

Visit site
Dodson & Horrell Cushcare has been an absolute winner with my boy, his buddies are always desperste to lick his bowl clean too so it must taste good. My boy is 30yrs old and looks amazing on it.

meleeka

Visit site
What’s his weight like? Mine have Healthy Hooves Molasses free as a base, which has nuts in to add interest. It does all depend on whether you need weight gain and how much you want to spend really.

Mari

Visit site
He’s a fussy eater with a poor appetite so has 3 small feeds daily + ad lib meadow hay. He’s a little on the lean side but not thin.

Visit site
He’s a fussy eater with a poor appetite so has 3 small feeds daily + ad lib meadow hay. He’s a little on the lean side but not thin.

If hes a fussy eater than im sure cushcare would be good, its small crumbly bits that make a lovely mash, i make mine up with warm water and theres never a drop left. It keeps him at a lovely weight too. If I wasnt so far away (and it didnt cost me £35 to buy a bag of it over here!), i would send you some to try.

HeyMich

Visit site
Pure Feeds do some fantastic all-in-one mixed feeds. I feed all of mine (an ulcer-prone, a wee fatty, a cushings mare and a pony in full work) on their Fibre Balance - it's low cal/starch, no molasses, no alfa, no NIS, added vits/mins, added pre/probiotics etc. I really rate it and just add medications when needed. Call them for advice, they'll tell you which of their mixes will suit your horse best.

Dreamer2020

Visit site
Hi Mari, I've just been reading a thread in the Tack Room started by Keira8888 today which has lots of helpful info about Cushing's. You might find it helpful xx

Northern Hare

Visit site
I tried masses of different feeds for my TBxWB Cushing's horse. He was difficult to keep weight on. We'd think we'd founded a feed that he liked only for him to change his mind a week later. Anyway, the only feed he liked was Topspec Balancer and their conditioning cubes. Also adding soya oil to his feeds.

Mari

Visit site
I tried masses of different feeds for my TBxWB Cushing's horse. He was difficult to keep weight on. We'd think we'd founded a feed that he liked only for him to change his mind a week later. Anyway, the only feed he liked was Topspec Balancer and their conditioning cubes. Also adding soya oil to Don’t their conditioning cubes have a high nsc ?