Feed for fussy eater.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I have an Arab x American Saddlebred, he's 15.3, weighs 526kg (weighbridge weight done Saturday just gone) and body scored as a 'fit' 3 but he does lose condition quite quickly.He's worked 5-6 times a week either schooling on flat or over poles and hacked out.

He definitely has the Arab temperament and is very 'hot' which is exacerbated by certain feeds...calm and condition for one!...he scoped clear of ulcers but I was advised to feed him as high risk because of his temperament. However he has the Saddlebred propensity to be very fussy over his food and goes off things very quickly and he dislikes anything 'sloppy' or too chaff like.

He has been quite happy on Baileys Ease and Excel but has now decided it's poisonous and won't touch it! Even with mint added he isn't eating it. So I'm after suggestions for a non heating, low starch, ulcer friendly feed if anyone has any?

We have tried Top spec ulsakind cubes, Spillers fibre mash, Top Spec linseed mash, Saracen Re-leve and A & P calm and condition.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's already rejected my number one choice for fussy horses, so I would try him on grass nuts. Dengie are too sugary for your guy, Emerald Green would be better.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arab's is highly sensitive to a lot of feeds can't have alfalfa molasses anything to heating sends him nuts, he also can be fussy feed can't be too wet and he will eat a feed for months then refuse to eat it.

His actually a good doer now but when he was younger he struggled to keep weight on, I only feed him grass chaff he won't eat the straw type chaffs I have fed micronised linseed in the past for weight gain his fine on that and he was OK on copra.

He currently gets grass chaff and spillers speedy mash which he has been happy to eat for some time now, although it's not very high in calories it smells quite strongly of apple when you add the water and so far his been eating it fine.

Connemara24

Visit site
Cushcare is good for fussyfeeders haven't met a horse who hasn't eaten it! I know yours doesn't have cushings but it's a good conditioning feed. It's in nut form but can be soaked into a mash.

TPO

Visit site
Keyflow Pink Mash
Keyflow Cool Mix (possibly called something else but it's the cool version)
Copra/Coolstance
A&P Soothe & Gain
Micronised linseed
Omega Rice Bran
Keyflow Plus (again, think that's its name. Black and gold bag)

Was it the mix or nuts Ease & Excel? Would it be worth trying the alternative?

Spiller have just launched 3 new feeds and I *think* one of them has pretty low starch and high fibre.

Spiritedly

Visit site
He's already rejected my number one choice for fussy horses, so I would try him on grass nuts. Dengie are too sugary for your guy, Emerald Green would be better.
I wasn't sure if grass nuts would meet his energy and nutritional requirements? I've always thought of them as more a substitute for poor grazing.

Spiritedly

Visit site
One of my Arab's is highly sensitive to a lot of feeds can't have alfalfa molasses anything to heating sends him nuts, he also can be fussy feed can't be too wet and he will eat a feed for months then refuse to eat it.

His actually a good doer now but when he was younger he struggled to keep weight on, I only feed him grass chaff he won't eat the straw type chaffs I have fed micronised linseed in the past for weight gain his fine on that and he was OK on copra.

He currently gets grass chaff and spillers speedy mash which he has been happy to eat for some time now, although it's not very high in calories it smells quite strongly of apple when you add the water and so far his been eating it fine.

He has had linseed in his feed before and was happy to eat feed with it in its just a case of finding something he will eat it with now, speedy mash was rejected over a year ago :-(

Spiritedly

Visit site
Cushcare is good for fussyfeeders haven't met a horse who hasn't eaten it! I know yours doesn't have cushings but it's a good conditioning feed. It's in nut form but can be soaked into a mash.

He did like Cushcare...my mare was on it...but he put too much weight on :-(

Spiritedly

Visit site
Keyflow Pink Mash
Keyflow Cool Mix (possibly called something else but it's the cool version)
Copra/Coolstance
A&P Soothe & Gain
Micronised linseed
Omega Rice Bran
Keyflow Plus (again, think that's its name. Black and gold bag)

Was it the mix or nuts Ease & Excel? Would it be worth trying the alternative?

Spiller have just launched 3 new feeds and I *think* one of them has pretty low starch and high fibre.

Pink mash he refused to even try! I'm wary of giving him A&P feeds because he went nuts on their Calm and Condition so I'm not sure what will happen with their non 'calming' feeds ?

He is rejecting the nuts and mix Ease and Excels which is a shame as he's been on it for over a year and has done well on it.

I will have a search for details of the other feeds you've suggested though thank you.

Reactions: TPO