Feed for healthy skin

mavandkaz

Visit site
Over the last couple of weeks my loan cob has begun to show some areas where her hair has been rubbed off (she is clipped). I'm used to this as I used to have a sensitive TB.
However, on a closer look it's not just hair that has rubbed away, her skin seems rather dry and is very scurffy. It's also not happening in places I would usually expect e.g shoulder from rug rubs.
Whilst clipping I did find a few scabby areas as well, so I am thinking of trying to improve her overall skin health.
My initial thought was linseed, but am wary of feeding extra calories. She is a typical cob, and needs to lose a little bit more weight - she has already lost some. Currently fed on unmollased chaff and Saracens relieve.
Is there anything I can feed to help?

PurBee

Visit site
My mare was similar, base of mane and some skin areas, dandruff looking...so i upped the omega 3, as theres not much in the balancer im using, - 100g fresh milled linseed and it’s worked great...very shiny and silky mane and fur now. She’s prone to weight gain but just 100g isn’t a huge addition in calories.
I stop the linseed when shes on majority grass grazing as that has plenty of omega 3...its something i use only in deep winter when theyre on majority hay which has a low omega 3 level, compared to fresh grass.

Also a vit e deficiency in winter is more common and also causes skin issues, so try that if the omega 3 doesnt work.

Surbie

Visit site
I use micronised linseed for my tubby loan cob, all year round, works a treat to create shiny coat and nice skin. He's a bit scurfy here and there, but he's started shedding so I'm just assuming it's the start of coat change.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
One of my mares has a sensitive skin but I noticed that using a mudfever supplement has cleared skin issues and seems to help prevent mudfever.

Follysmum

Visit site
One of my mares has a sensitive skin but I noticed that using a mudfever supplement has cleared skin issues and seems to help prevent mudfever.

Would you mind telling me what supplement you use. A friend is struggling with her TB with mudfever and is currently researching which would be best. Thanks

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have a sensitive good doer and I feed linseed (or linseed oil in the winter), brewers yeast, and vitamin E.

This combo really seems to keep him from getting skin crud, dry skin, and whatever else he used to come up with.

If he wasn't in work I'd probably skip out on the brewers yeast, but since he is in regular work he does ok with it and is not to plump. The added protein may also help with his muscle building as he's looking quite good at the moment.