Feed for jack Russell's

maxapple

Visit site
I need to find a new feed to maintain the weight of my 2 small jack Russell's who expend lots of energy!

We have recently moved - our old house had a very large garden and cat flap so they used to go in and out as they wanted but mainly just pottered in the garden. I used to walk them for 45 mins each day also.

We have now moved to a flat with no garden. As a result their exercise rate will really increase. I walk them 3 times a day for 30-60mins each time, and I have a dog walker who takes them out for 2 x 30min walks during the day also.

I therefore need a feed that will maintain their weight but bearing in mind they only have small tummies so can't eat big volumes. I'm trying to leave biscuits down for them to eat as and when but one of the dogs just eats the whole lot in one go. I'm wondering if she will stop doing this if I put extra down??

*starfish*

Visit site
I have 2 JRT and I am sort of in the same situation as you (my dogs live in a flat too!) I give mine biscuits throughout the day, all day, and then they have a meal in the evening of wet food (although i am thinking of changing to raw diet) I rescued one of mine and she would also eat the whole lot in one go, however as she started to realise she wouldnt be hungry and the food will always be accessable she now just eats when she is hungry. I feed mine James wellbeloved biscuits through the day and wet food (although will change to raw diet) in the evening.

If your dog continues to eat all the biscuits then maybe give them a seperate breaksfast of biscuits so the other dogs also gets something.

hope this helps!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The best quality you can afford that has named meat as a first ingredient.

James Wellbeloved was taken over by Purina, makers of the dread Bakers recently and the protein content has dropped like a stone :(

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My jack russell has the nature diet raw frozen food and I have had to cut it back as she was getting a bit tubby on it, I spoke to my vet and he said on a few days a week feed brown rice with some fish and this has worked well. So you might find switching to the raw they will maintain weight easily, I have the opposite problem although mine is outside most of the day and gets long walks she puts weight on easily.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My jack russell has the nature diet raw frozen food and I have had to cut it back as she was getting a bit tubby on it, I spoke to my vet and he said on a few days a week feed brown rice with some fish and this has worked well. So you might find switching to the raw they will maintain weight easily, I have the opposite problem although mine is outside most of the day and gets long walks she puts weight on easily.

I just looked at my food and its natures menu not diet, have fed the natures diet she liked that too and its got a good meat content.