Feed help/advice

rallan15

Visit site
Can you please tell me if you would start feeding and what you would feed based on these circumstances -

Horse is a 6 year old Welsh D. He has lived out 24/7 all year round all his life and he only gets grass and hay in the Winter. He may be going to pony club camp in 2 months where he has to be stabled. I feel bad only giving him hay while he's there so what would everyone recommend he gets fed? Or would it be best for me just to give him hay? Also would anyone recommend any supplements (calmers etc) as he's never been away from home before and can get VERY stressed in new situations.

HeyMich

Visit site
If he only gets grass and hay, and is doing well on it, then just stick to that! Absolutely no need to introduce hard feed, just because of camp.

If you feel he needs extra, then make sure it is very low calorie, low sugar, basically a forage replacement like a low/zero-cal chaff. Add a low cal balancer if needed. Introduce it slowly though, plenty of time before camp, and he might only need a tiny handful anyway.

rallan15

Visit site
If he only gets grass and hay, and is doing well on it, then just stick to that! Absolutely no need to introduce hard feed, just because of camp.

If you feel he needs extra, then make sure it is very low calorie, low sugar, basically a forage replacement like a low/zero-cal chaff. Add a low cal balancer if needed. Introduce it slowly though, plenty of time before camp, and he might only need a tiny handful anyway.

Thanks! I emailed the organisers to ask if I can let them know closer to the time and apparently I HAVE to feed him so I was thinking just some lite Alfa-a and low cal balancer. He’ll also be getting hay.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have taken a non-feed native to adult camp in the past.

I pinched a carrier bag of Hi-Fi lite from a friend (swapped for a bottle of vino) and some std pony nuts.
Each feed had a coffee mug of Hi-fi lite and a half mug of nuts in, damped at feeding time.
No problem on return from camp as feed stopped again and no complaints from equine chum at all :)

Shay

Visit site
Pony Club camp often requires that you feed something - if only to stop them kicking at the stabling at feed time. It is also really hard work for them - especially if they are in little work to begin with. Ours ride 3 hours a day at camp. (over 2 sessions.)

Try some ultra low calorie chaff - something suitable for laminitics would work well. I's steer clear of anything that needs to be soaked because that can be hit or miss depending on the stable manager. You might want to think about a herbal calmer? Lincoln calm works really well - but is banned in competition because of the valerian. Most PC camps don't mind if you use a banned substance though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If he doesn't get a low cal balancer now I wouldn't get it just to feed him at camp, I'd just acquire so low calorie chaff.