Feed options for weight gain?

throwaway2022

Visit site
I have a 4mo Great Dane who I'm struggling to get weight on, I can't recall what she was on when I brought her home from the breeder but I swapped onto Millie's Wolfheart 'Endurance' after speaking to them about the issue. I don't want her overweight of course but she's too ribby and her waist is too thin. I've tried upping the food gradually but she gets the runs when overfed!

Any suggestions of what to try next?

She gets extra bits on top of her kibble, healthy treats, stuffed kongs/hooves, chicken, sardines etc. and tolerates it all well, it's just when the kibble is fed in too large a volume that she gets the runs. Currently on four meals p/day.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would put her on a nice raw/ barf diet and not worry about it. Most puppies should look a bit like welfare cases until they finish growing and as long as they are happy, healthy, with good poos and the right energy levels I tend not to worry about what they look like.

Oh and i think we need pics :)

skinnydipper

Visit site
Giant breed puppies' nutritional requirements differ from smaller breeds. Percentage of calcium (and also protein) important to avoid skeletal problems affecting the joints.

Last edited:

DSB

Visit site
Good quality protien,will help with weight gain,Chicken,red meat,with little fat,fish..reduce the carbs.

throwaway2022

Visit site
Thanks guys. I’ve fed raw for years but have been concerned knowing that giant breeds needs are so specific (my other dogs are Toys with one Medium). I’ve spoken to someone at the place Ann Ridyard set up on the Wirral, going to take pup over for a consultation. She looks like a rescue case at the moment, it’s awful.

Not sure why it’s rotated ?

E7B3E523-41D9-40FB-B5A6-F80E0F8B9432.jpeg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd also worry about high protein levels in some puppy foods.

Just be aware the tight coat will make it look more awful than if she had a lot of fluff. My middle dog is naturally very rangy and like yours, if you add anything, he just shits it out faster, he also has a tight coat for his breed and it can be embarrassing sometimes, but he is nearly ten now and still going strong and is looking very well at the moment having gone through a few months of looking very skinny. I've known him since he was a pup and acquired him a few years back so it is nothing that either I or his previous owner have done, that's just the way he is.
Just be aware that she might be running it all off, also make sure she is warm enough.