Feed & possible epsm

Nari

Visit site
My ID has a lot of the signs of epsm & a blood test has shown muscle enzymes that are higher than the normal range even though he's in almost no work. He won't be having a muscle biopsy to get a definate diagnosis but I want to try him on the high oil/fat diet that's recommended for epsm. Interestingly he's been worse since I've took him off a diet that had a reasonable amount of oil in it so I think this may help him.

However there's a problem (you never saw that coming, did you :lol:). He's a big horse & so the recommended amount of oil is high & he won't eat feeds with even a little bit of oil in. Really won't. I've put him back on his Top Spec Cool Condition cubes which contain a lot of soya & linseed & I've bought a sack of Baileys Outshine which he'll eat but isn't keen on. I need to check the oil content of the cubes, the Outshine is 26% but I'll be bankrupt if I rely on that to get the oil into him!

In the past he's happily eaten cooked linseed meal so I'm going to check the oil content of that & order some if it's high enough to be useful. Does anyone know of any other feeds that could be useful? It needs to be cereal free (another problem with Outshine) as he reacts badly to most cereals & has had ulcers.