Feed Recomendations...?

rach1984horse

Visit site
I have a 2 year old Highland filly.

Currently she is out 24/7 with access to haylidge. She will be moving to a field with better grass in the next month or so.

She's not currently getting any hard feed however I want to start giving her garlic as she's developed sweet itch. I plan to give her this mixed in with a handful or chaff, or Alfa. Can anyone recommend a good make? I bought apple chaff before but she didn't seem very keen on it.

I would also like to give her something to help improve her coat, as it is obviously suffering at the moment with the sweet itch. Can anyone recommend a suppliment or feed that would do this?

Emma27

Visit site
what about just ordinary chaff? usually feed merchants own make and if she doesn`t eat it try grating some carrot or apple through it, don`t cut them up or she will just pick them out, garlic is good but some horses just won`t touch it, why not try coopers fly repellant, its a bit more expensive than the average one but its bloody good!

Good luck

fairhill

Visit site
We use Feelgood 30 Science skin supplement to help improve my mare's coat. She has shire legs which are very itchy, rather than sweetitch, but it's really helped her, and her coat is very shiny. We feed it with D&H Safe and Sound, which they love, as it's a bit more interesting than mollichop.

Nari

Visit site
I've heard that you shouldn't feed garlic to horses with sweetitch as it can make it worse, something to do with the immune system I think.

Feedwise I'd go for alfalfa, ideally an unmollassed one if you can get it. My two also like Mollichaff Hoof Kind.

I've found Feedmark Equidermis good for itchy horses.