feed storage ?! bags or bins??

hannah28

Visit site
hey, as above do you keep your feed in the bags or do you empty them into bins ? i keep my horse tipped into bins (those big black ones from wilkos :rolleyes: )

will this keep it fresh ? i feed balancer and takes me around 80 days to use one bag so will it be ok for this time in a bin??

cheers :)

spaniel

Visit site
Put the bag in your bin rather than tipping the contents out. I would use metal bins rather than plastic.....rats eat plastic ones!

alsxx

Visit site
I keep mine in a big chest freezer I got from a shop that closed down. I simply put the bags in as they are.

miss_c

Visit site
Mine are in filing cabinets! One drawer = 1 sack of nuts/mix, and a bag of chaff etc is one and a bit drawers. Rat proof and saves space as you can store feed vertically.

Shay

Visit site
I love the filing cabinet idea!

We keep ours tipped out inside big plastic bins - but you do have to be careful not to just tip new feed over the top of old - otherwise it will go stale at the bottom. Keeping it in the bag inside the bin at least makes sure that you finis one before you start the next.

We've never had rats chew through our plastci bins either - although I do know they are capable of doing so. I think its is more that there is enough food on the yard for them without having to do that. The problem we do have sometimes is that squirrels knock the lids off and get at the feed that way. Solved with tight fitting lids and a brick. (On the lid - not the squirrel!)

doferdude

Visit site
The bag in a stainless steel bin has to be the best idea otherwise you will have a pile of mouldy feed at the bottom! Stock rotation made easey!:)

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
I keep my feed in a green wheelie bin :)

I feed mix and chaff so mix them together in the bin and always empty old feed out before putting fresh in then old goes on the top so is used first. It works for me and not had a problem with rats. Having said that I haven't seen a rat at our yard but then we have some feral cats to keep 'em down :cool: :D

abbieandfiona

Visit site
I keep mine in black plastic bins and never had issue with mice only issue i had was naughty horse finding the bins and eating all the food when she got out for the night!