Feed Suggestions - Barefoot IR Horse.

Scarlett

Visit site
My boy is showing all the signs of a mild lami attack which, thankfully, is improving greatly now he's in 24/7 on soaked hay.

He's a TB, 7yo and my vet believes we should test for insulin resistance which I'm arranging to do. I've had him 18 months and he's had footiness and swellings in his legs the previous spring and autumn grass flushes, we've always caught it before it's got too bad.

My problem is finding stuff he'll eat that's safe for a b/f suspected IR horse. He absolutely refuses to eat soaked feeds, Fast Fibre, Speedibeet, Copra etc etc - he sometime starts eating them for a day or two then stops - he did eat Alfabeet but his legs began to swell as I think he was getting too much alfalfa (though we had the autumn flush at the same time which will have contributed to the swelling and footiness).

He won't really eat plain chaff, he tolerates oat straw chaff mixed in something he likes but if I just mix his supps into it he wont eat it. He never licks his bucket clean with oat chaff like he does with dried grass or alfalfa chaff.

He will eat alfalfa until it comes out his ears and will tolerate Simple Sytems grass nuts if they are dry, they can't even be mixed in with damp chaff though as they go crumbly and he leaves them. He will pick out what he likes and leave a neat pile of what he doesn't want.

I'm soaking his hay but he's only picking at it. It needs to be soaked and then left to dry out as if it's too wet he wont touch it.

He's been fed through the winter on Keyflow Rice Bran and their Stay Cool Mix which are low sugar and he not only cleaned his bowl but he looked and felt fantastic and was great on his feet. I've stopped the mix obviously but I'm still feeding the rice bran as he's loosing weight.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of feed I can try dry or another suitable chaff I can give him to make sure I'm getting his vits and minerals into him? He's loosing weight and looking fairly poor at the moment too.

TwoStroke

Visit site
Allen and Page L mix? Not tried it myself, but it is apparantly safe.

Otherwise, have you tried adding things like fenugreek or mint in to make it more appetising?

Scarlett

Visit site
Allen and Page L mix? Not tried it myself, but it is apparantly safe.

Otherwise, have you tried adding things like fenugreek or mint in to make it more appetising?

Yup, makes no difference at all, he literally wont touch anything soaked/wet, I dont think it's the taste I think it's the consistencey.

Does he need a bucket feed?

I need to get his vits and minerals into him so I need to give him something, and he's a big TB, he just doesnt keep weight on with hay, even ad lib, and especially now it's soaked. He's dropping weight which isn't the end of the world right now but once he's over this bout I'll need to try and get some weight back on him....

Oberon

Visit site
I need to get his vits and minerals into him so I need to give him something, and he's a big TB, he just doesnt keep weight on with hay, even ad lib, and especially now it's soaked. He's dropping weight which isn't the end of the world right now but once he's over this bout I'll need to try and get some weight back on him....

Pants :D

Nothing is simple :eek:

With The Tank (who isn't a fan of bucket feeds) I put a very small amount of water in the bucket, mix the ProB+, yea-sacc and his herbs, then add a small amount of Spiller's High Fibre Cubes. I top up just before serving so he has crunchy nuts on top.

Boysy

Visit site
Try Tesco's sugar free Apple Juice, it's in the little cartons a pack of 3, i have a Native mare who is the fussiest bucket feeder on earth but i need to get supplements down her neck so in times of stress i resort to the juice over chaff and it's never failed me whereas everything else i have tried has.

I know you said he doesn't like plain chaff but have you tried TopSpec TopChop, i know it's alfalfa but the tiny amount you would need to feed shouldn't cause a problem, it doesn't for my IR gelding.

Failing that what about the Lami friendly Horsehage, blue bag i think? That would pump more calories into him than the soaked hay and it is tested safe for Lami's.

Or as above try dried Mint or Fenugreek although none of mine will touch it.

Baileys Fibre Nuggets may be another choice, don't need to soak them, big chunky nuts, i feed them as treats but have also used them as hay replacers when i needed more bulk.

Zargon_91

Visit site
I used to feed my cushings horse sugar and cereal intolerance by Allen and page, it's really good and I don't think you have to soak it :)

unbalanced

Visit site
Be very careful with the 'lami-friendly' horsehage - it has destroyed my pony's white line and now we have a HUGE stretch. Feed linseed for weight gain instead.
What about high fibre cubes?
I weaned my pony onto eating speedibeet using bluechip which she loves as a taster. Blue chip is BAD and full of rubbish but it got her used to eating the speedibeet as she has a low appetite from cushings and peroglide.

Kat

Visit site
Mine hates eating "slop" so I make up speedibeet which is very dry. It is soaked enough but not sloppy with no extra water. It ends up looking like couscous, I mix suppliments in to this and then you can mix a chaff or mix in for a very dry feed or just feed a bucket of brown couscous!

I have had a few people ask me what it is as they are used to Sugarbeet being sloppy.

While you get used to how much water you need use a seive to drain off all the water.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've honestly tried eveything to get him to eat beet, drier, wetter, adding things one at a time to see what he'll eat and it's a total no go. He just wont eat it, or anything else thats soaked.

I'm managing to get a combination of alfalfa chaff, rice bran, linseed and dry grass nuts into him at the moment in small quantities, will continue with that until he's back in work. :)

Lego

Visit site
Maybe have a look at D&H Safe & Sound chaff?

It does have a little molasses in as a binder, but still low percentage sugar & starch. No alfalfa, and has straw chaff, little nuggety bits and some herbs for flavour so good mix of textures. Mint and fenugreek I think. Fed it to both of my cobs and they loved it and looked good on it- I only stopped feeding it as I was giving extra magnesium for hooves, and it worked out cheaper to feed speedibeet & Pro Hoof when giving full amount of chaff for vits & mins.

Didn't have any problems mixing powder supplements in with it either - just a sprinkle of water and stir.

Or how about a squirt of apple cider vinegar? Everything I've had loves it :)

rema

Visit site
I too have a IR horse and was talking to the HorseHage nutritionist at Badminton about what to feed my horse and she suggested MolliChaff Donkey..She went on to explain that donkey's need a low sugar/starch diet too due to being desert animals..I am going to try my boy on it..It can be fed a a replacer or just a bucket feed..

http://www.horsehage.co.uk/mc-donkey.html

SCMSL

Visit site
Having a very fussy horse myself, I would recommend Rowen Barbary's Forage n Fiber.

For the last year, I have tried pretty much every feed with my mare, and she didn't like any of them - fussiness ranged from always leaving some of her feed to simply refuse to eat it at all, depending on the feed.

She LOVES Forage n Fiber. I'm on the 6th bag and she is yet to refuse to eat it, and actually licks her bucket clean for the first time since I have her.

They are also very helpful and will send you some samples for you to try.

Secret44

Visit site
[QUOTE
I need to get his vits and minerals into him so I need to give him something, and he's a big TB, he just doesnt keep weight on with hay, even ad lib, and especially now it's soaked. He's dropping weight which isn't the end of the world right now but once he's over this bout I'll need to try and get some weight back on him....[/QUOTE]

I have a TB as well with sameish problems ! He is on BMZ which is a supplement that keeps healthy hoof growth and integrity. It isn't overly expensive and lasts a long time. He also gets MSM which is a dietary supplement the keeps healthy joints and more. It is also non expensive and lasts a long time. Both of these supplements are only a small scoop (like a table spoon). To keep the weight on he gets fat N fibre. I find It is very efficient and natural, I am very pleased with how it has worked with him. He also gets oats, and beat pulp but those are just what we added to have the same weight distribution as his old feed. Hope this helped ! Good luck :)

dalidaydream

Visit site
I too have a IR horse and was talking to the HorseHage nutritionist at Badminton about what to feed my horse and she suggested MolliChaff Donkey..She went on to explain that donkey's need a low sugar/starch diet too due to being desert animals..I am going to try my boy on it..It can be fed a a replacer or just a bucket feed..

http://www.horsehage.co.uk/mc-donkey.html

and yet it's still coated in mollasses :rolleyes: