Feed to improve coat

nel509

Visit site
I'm currently feeding top spec comprehensive, ulcer kind cubes, dry chop and micronized linseed. My Connie has terrible coat.. Everything that touches him rubs him and even thou he's grey his coat always looks dull.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Seems like you are feeding a decent balancer but the ulsakind also has high calcium... do you need both? Sometimes overtopping can cause poor skin condition. I would strip back to just hay and grass and see what happens. Copper is excellent for coat condition but your supps don't contain any.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm currently feeding top spec comprehensive, ulcer kind cubes, dry chop and micronized linseed. My Connie has terrible coat.. Everything that touches him rubs him and even thou he's grey his coat always looks dull.
I would say soya oil, my girl was so itchy before and donkey coat horrendous till we used it.

Twohorses

Visit site
Less is more -- one just has to figure out which things work for each individual horse, the job they have, and their living environment:)

my two are easy keepers. The only thing they get out of a bag is Timothy pellets and that's because I need the pellets as a carrier for their supplements.

The horse in my avatar is in insulin resistance remission.

Both horses get an added 3,000 IU of Vitamin E daily.
Both horses get a condensed, soy-free, no added iron, vit/min supplement daily (3 OUNCES per horse per day).

One horse has acre pasture, the other has six acres. They come in at night and eat locally grown Orchard/mixed grass hay. Neither one can handle any sort of legumes.

The horse below is fraught with environmental allergies, plus he is soy and grain sensitive. I took this foto a few days back, he is 25 (and has been with me since he was 2-1/2:)

I barely brushed him on this morning, as I had places to be and stalls still needed to be cleaned. My horses coats stay this way, thanks to diet, which is pretty much nothing but pasture, quality grass hay when they come in, and a soy-free, no iron added condensed vit/min supplement:)

image.jpg

Last edited:

tallyho!

Visit site
I totally agree Twohorses. The very reason I stopped feeding compound "anything" for the last 10 years. I do use minerals but they are specific to my grazing and actually through testing my soil and grass I've found we are high in iron :(. So they don't get a lot of grass nor do they get anything with iron in it. Even though I have greys, I hardly ever need to brush once summer coats are in.

Your horse practically glows!

tallyho!

Visit site
Rice bran oil is very rich in omega6 which is pro-inflammatory. Unless you want that then that’s fine.

If you want an oil rich in omega 3 then linseed is no contest to anything else. Whole micronised linseed is ideal.

Forget oils for now OP, you need to strip back and go back to basics.