Feed to improve topline without getting fat!

jaquelin

Visit site
Any suggestions on this? I have been advised to improve topline of my horse but he is a good doer and puts weight on all over. We do LOTS of dressage so exercise for topline is in-hand. To keep his weight under control, he is fed low energy chaff/riding horse II mix, 2kg in all, 3 feeds a day. I was thinking of substituting show mix for the riding horse II mix. Or is this all a waste of time?
Suggestions gratefully recieved.

Tnavas

Visit site
Topline is a mixture of muscle and weight.

Protein and work is needed to develop topline

If you feed more protein than needed it is excreted in the urine so is wasted.

When plaiting place the plaits on top of the neck rather than on the side as this gives the impression of a more developed topline. Stab stitch the plaits rather than wrap around - the softer edges also increase the visual effect of more top line.

TBH - I find correct work, on the lunge with side reins and ridden work are the best ways of developing topline

First Time Mum

Visit site
Personally I think if your horse is doing well on his current feed I would concentrate on building the top line through exercise with lots of stretching work

Tr0uble

Visit site
Echo above, BUT I would also add something like Saracen Equijewel, or Dodson and Horrel Build and glow.

olop

Visit site
I also echo the above - was told that no matter what feed given the only way you can build topline is through correct work, the feed just aids the growth.

Spyda

Visit site
I highly recommend Bailey's Lo Cal Balancer. I only used it this summer as our grazing has been pretty dry with poor growth, as a top up feed, and the difference in my mare is noticeable. She's also out of work and only at grass so it's nothing I've been doing! Worth trying a bag as it'll show a difference within one sack if it's going to help :)

jaquelin

Visit site
picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks to all - good ideas! Especially Evelyn & Spyda - will look at Baileys Lo Cal Balancer composition - vet recommended % protein greater than carbs to avoid weight gain - I will see how it compares to what he is currently on.

If i did it right, horse will now appear.

Spyda

Visit site

jaquelin

Visit site
Just compared it to Balanced Horse Feeds Riding Horse II and it has quite a lot more protein. Definitely worth considering - will check with show producer first, but may switch to this. I think if I substitute this for my current at the same rate it should not cause weight gain.

Spyda

Visit site
You should be okay with the Lo Cal since it's been designed to avoid weight gain. I only started feeding it to ensure my girl was getting all the protein and nutrients she might be missing from the inadequate grass we've had this year. Mine's still growing (she's 4) and has managed to grow upwards but still keep a decent top line. Previously, growing upwards normally meant a slight drop in her topline for a while. This summer she looks great. I mean REALLY great; a lovely shine to her coat, a pleasant temperament (mine's VERY stressy and hot headed by nature, so a REAL bonus) and she's got a lovely neck and top line without being tubby. I'm chuffed to say the least. Especially as she's been recovering from a virus and then severe cut so has been out of work since Easter for one reason or another.

fabscd

Visit site
I used to use Balanced Horse feeds, they are fab, BUT i found that the N hance and the Show Mix put 'bulk' on my girl like nothing on earth. She was much more 'athletic' on the Riding Horse II. Now if you're showing, you may want a bit more 'bulk' than i did (we're eventing) but you will only get the topline from doing the correct work, so if your boy is tending towards looking 'too well' i would think about switching to the Riding Horse II, she looked great on it.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
ive started feeding formula4feet, bare with me!

as well as protein, i believe the correct levels of vitamins and minerals are also crucial. I was feeding an all round vit supplement before in a handful of chaff.

However, formula4feet provides a complete balance of vits&mins and there is no need to feed any other supplement with it, it also has a much higher amount of protein in it that lowcal balancer.It might be worth considering.

jaquelin

Visit site
Fabscd, interesting comment about Riding Horse II. The Baileys has 15 % protein compared to 11% for RH II. I am perfectly happy with it, but will try the Baileys to see if it helps a bit. Will also do the work! Noted re the other mixes - to be avoided when you have good doer ( although I prefer the American expression for this, which is an easy keeper!)

Horses24-7

Visit site
I've putmyhorse on lo cal balancer this summer and can also say how fantastic it's been! My horse looks fantastic, the best bees looked in5 years. I must add I have been working him 5/6 times a week as well! His feet have also I'mproved drastically with an obvious ridge growing down! As above ioriginallygotit for my restrictedly grazed shettie and just swopped him onto it for ease really :)