Feed - use by dates

alainax

Visit site
Do you stick to them religiously, or would you use the feed if it were out of date? What's your limit on going over?

I have 2 bags in the garage, which are been kept dry and vermin free. Still smell fresh, but I am wondering if I will have to bin them. The trouble is a loss of nutrients? It's funny as I tend to ignore dates for human food (unless its meat etc) but for the horse I am worried!

It is a bag of speedi beet and a bag of Alfa-A.

Ella19

Visit site
If it smells alright and looks alright then it's fine! Nutrients last a year I believe. Most bags have a manufacturing date on them.

SpringArising

Visit site
You don't say for how long you've had them?

The Speedi-Beet will probably be OK, but the Alfa-A might be gone-off. Dry grains and pellets generally last a good few months after the expiration date as long as they're stored correctly, but the oils and molasses in the Alfa-A are what will cause it to go funny. Have you had a sniff and feel to see what they're like?

A riding school owner I used to livery with would buy all her horse's feeds on the cheap as they had gone off. She did it for years and never had any issues. For human food, I usually just smell and taste to test. If it doesn't make me gag, I'll eat it :eek:

alainax

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I bought them both May last year. The Speedi-beet goes out of date this month, but it is a full bag so I will never use it all in a month. The Alfa-A says Nov 14 on it. I don't mind buying more, just don't want to throw perfectly fine stuff out! Yeah I had a sniff and felt them, seemed just as new. I have seen them when they are off before ( years ago damp shed) and they are nothing like that.

WelshD

Visit site
Both of those I would feed personally. I wouldnt rely on vitamin levels in something like a balancer but would feed most things

We sell feed where I work and most of my smallholding animals live off out of date or split bags of feed lol

madmav

Visit site
I am cavalier with dates on food that I feed to me and kids. If it smells and looks ok and passes a little taste test, I go for it. We're all still here! But I grew up in days when you had to just check as there weren't any dates on products.
Eldest son would die of shock if he knew. He won't touch something that's a minute past eat-by date - if he gets a chance to check the dates!

marmalade76

Visit site
If it looks and smells ok, feed it. Beet will keep for ages, Alfa can get mouldy so check for that.

Grains and cubes/mixes can go off but there is a noticeable change in smell. I've never known beet go off if kept dry.

popsdosh

Visit site
The dates on most bags are only a legal requirement as the shelf life for vitamins is quite short and the manufacturer has to guarantee their levels as printed on the bag. So the feed will be fine however the vitamins wont.