Feeding 11wk pup dry food

HerbiesHuman

Visit site
Hey,

Betty came on a diet of 2 meals weetabix in goats milk and 2 soaked lots of iams biscuits.

well the past two days she's decided she doesnt like it soaked any more and i thought this was due to me replacing the morning weetabix meal with biscuits, but every time we open the cupboard with her food in she dives in and helps herself to some dry stuff.

Well i just did an experiment and she's eaten her lunch dry yet her soaked breakfast was left untouched.

Now my doberman pup came on biscuits also but they were served dry and not soaked so never had to worry about the change over.

So was wondering do i perserver with the soaked or will she be ok on the dry.

Just i dont want her getting bloat.

cheers layla

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
I am feeding my 12 week pup on dry biscuits soaked with a bit of Natures Diet mixed in. She's not fussy at all though & has the food out of your hand before you can put in on the floor usually. I do soak puppy food because it does swell quite a bit. I was told by this pup's breeder to avoid dairy products at all costs - many moons ago we always gave our pups weetabix, farleys rusks etc but apparently not the done thing now - whether it's true or not who knows?

clair

Visit site
my puppy is eating dry food shes now 13 weeks but was eating it dry at 10 weeks, she stopped eating her canned food so i asked what to change her to the vet said nothing about wetting it so i havent...shes fine!

SarahLouise83

www.aceanimals.co.uk
Dry will be absolutely fine - it'll help her gnash away on her gums a bit to help her "baby" teeth come through if nothing else!
laugh.gif

mealrigghallstud

www.mealrigg-stud.co.uk
Dry is fine as long as she has water. Weetabix is generally fed as a cheap bulk - it has no nutritional value at all - but makes the pup think it is full, so no point feeding it! There is not much you can do about bloat as it is a torsion of the stomach - but there are preventative things to help reduce the chance of it happening - a spoon full of live yoghurt a day, no exercise for half an hour after they have eaten, free access to water, and some people say to put a teaspoon of oil in the food - not sure about that one but shouldn't do any harm.

HerbiesHuman

Visit site
yeh i dont want her on the weetabix which is why i'm weaning her off of it already.

i just didnt know if it would be abit of a shock to her digestive system to go from soaked to dry at such a young age

cheers

Foxfolly

Visit site
Our nearly 6 week old Patterdale pups are on dry food already! They have chudleys with goats milk on it.. they lap up all the goats milk then crunch up the biscuits, they have been doing this since 5 weeks old!

We stat them on goats milk soaked chudleys at 3 then once their teath come though we no longer soak it!