Feeding a 3 year old

littlenordic

Visit site
Hi There, I will hopefully be bringing home a rising 3 year old Andalusian gelding on Saturday. Please can people recommend what feed to give him? He is currently living out 24/7 with hay at night ane he gets a small feed of pasture mix in the evening. When he come to me he will be stabled at night and will have adlib hay and have about 5 hrs out a day. I want to make sure he is on the correct feed for his age and dietry requirements. What do people think?? Thanks!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If he's the correct wieght I would stick to as much hay as he can eat and a small feed of some sort of chop a bit of speedibeet ( good calicum source ) some linseed ( for the protein and healthy oils ) and a good all round min and vit supplement.
The amounts will depend on his condition but they are best kept a little lean it's healthier for them.

Kallibear

Visit site
My rising 3 (TBxID) is on adlib haylege and a handful non-mollassed chaff with a general supplement (same as the older horse, otherwise id prob feed a specific youngstock general supplement). If he needs more weight Id feed speedibeet and alfalfa (un-mollassed). Id rather like him to have decent feet so don't want him eating sugary rubbish! Ditto Goldstar about him being lean: there's nothing more damaging for a young horse than being fat! Mine's already far bigger than he should be so really doesn't need any extra help with his growing!

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can feed it all year round in summer I make mine just long enough before using for it to soak as it can spoil in the heat. He's unlikely too need much in the summer just enough to make a nice snack to put his vits and mins in.
I can 't stress enough that youngsters need to be feed the minimum you can get away with they need good nutrients a good calcium source , a bit of protein as they are growing muscles etc , it's much easier to spoil a young one by feeding to much than too little.
I don't have much experiance with PREs but I think they are very good doers generally and some need to be kept on a low sugar diet and have their grass restricted .
You might want to start another thread saying asking for advice on feeding young PREs to attract posters on here who are into them.

littlenordic

Visit site
You can feed it all year round in summer I make mine just long enough before using for it to soak as it can spoil in the heat. He's unlikely too need much in the summer just enough to make a nice snack to put his vits and mins in.
I can 't stress enough that youngsters need to be feed the minimum you can get away with they need good nutrients a good calcium source , a bit of protein as they are growing muscles etc , it's much easier to spoil a young one by feeding to much than too little.
I don't have much experiance with PREs but I think they are very good doers generally and some need to be kept on a low sugar diet and have their grass restricted .
You might want to start another thread saying asking for advice on feeding young PREs to attract posters on here who are into them.

Thanks Goldenstar! I will do jusy that!