Feeding a border terrier

heatherell

New User
Visit site
I have two lovely border terriers both nearly 4 years old, both completely different in statue and temperament. The smallest of the two Rex has just recovered from an intestine operation (he swallowed a piece of rubber which became stuck). He was on a light diet for nearly two weeks and he is finding it difficult to return to his original diet of dried food ( Bakers complete for small dog). Tried him on the puppy variety just in case original too hard to digest but does not seem interested in either. Unfortunately he does like treats and the chicken he was eating whilst not well????? Any owners with borders suggest what they are feeding there borders. Rex is a very slight frame anyway.

clydesdale

Visit site
My border terrier is a very fussy eater i feed her bakers complete for small dogs but i have to put 1/4 a tin of meat in it with gravy and make sure it is mixed well otherwise she just takes the chunks of meat out :)

heatherell

New User
Visit site
Thanks. I do put wet food into Baxters bowl (the other border) but Rex never took to it and left it for, now, beefy baxter to finish!!!!!!!!!!! so stopped that one. Carried on with adding the chicken from his light diet gradually reducing it but he eats the chicken and does not touch dry?? Worried he is not getting enough I sometimes hear his belly rumbling

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My BT gets tinned chappie (not dried) and mixer. I have another terrier who had part of her gut removed after a blockage and she thrives on it.
Vets often recommend chappie because its easy to digest and good for sensitive stomachs.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He's got good taste, Bakers is full of rubbish. My older dog is on tinned Chappie as mentioned, it is very plain and good for sensitive tummies.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Both my dogs (BT included) get fed on Land of Holistic Pets - one is a dry the other is one that you add hot water to which makes it like a rice pilaf. These foods have no preservatives, are high quality and my good doer does pretty well on it. They have been made with skin, tummy, and other health issues in mind (preventative).

littlemisslauren

Visit site
My border is fed Applaws and is thriving on it, she occasionaly has a nature diet tray if she is being a bit fussy. She also has raw days. I would never feed bakers.

The vet was very happy with her condition and weight last week.