Feeding a joint supplement as a preventative?

QueenDee_

Visit site
I was just wondering what people's opinions on this are. My previous Connemara was on one due to arthritis and I like to think it made a difference. However I am currently debating putting my TB (11 years old, 17.1hh eventer) on a joint supplement as a preventative.

Does anyone else do this? Is there any point?

Regandal

Visit site
I think it could be beneficial. I give mine boswellia, there is evidence (somewhere!) that it may delay arthritis/inflammatory type stuff from starting.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Have given my mare a joint supplement since I got her at 6. She is 16 & still going strong. On top spec joint balancer now so gets vits & minerals, biotin etc. she's a native so doesn't get hard feed.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Not for a horse but my Labrador has been on them since we got him when he was 3 1/2. He was massively overweight and moved terribly and we decided to start him on them.

He is 10 now and moves better than he ever has.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I do this, I don't know what kind of life he had before I had him or if he was hammered. I also had problems with lameness when I first had him and have put him on it then. I feed suppleaze gold and the turmeric pepper and linseed combo. He's not been lame for years but I daren't stop now.

BeepaStar

Visit site
I always put my horses straight onto cosequin, it's amazing stuff. Recently tried a cheaper supplement with turmeric and boswellia and after 4 weeks my horse was noticeably stiffer and his stride length had shortened so put him straight back on to cosequin. So yes, I use as a preventative :)

googol

Visit site
Beepastar where do u buy cosequin? How much does it work out per month? Do u know what the ingredients are,?

SallyBatty

Visit site
I got my mare when she was 16. She was bit stiff so put her on cortaflex which she has been on ever since. She is now 25 and is still jumping happily and learning new dressage movements.

Geek

Visit site
I have my horses on cortaflex as a preventative, they're eventing at Novice level so I feel anything I can do to help keep them going and coping is worth it. It may do absolutely nothing but on the chance that it may help them I'd rather keep them on it.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I have my horses on cortaflex as a preventative, they're eventing at Novice level so I feel anything I can do to help keep them going and coping is worth it. It may do absolutely nothing but on the chance that it may help them I'd rather keep them on it.

As above, my two horses, 17 years & 12 years have been on supplements since they were about 9 years old for the same reason.They are both fit & healthy & have no joint issues. Is it due to the supplements or is it due to good animal husbandry, not trotting/cantering or competing on hard surfaces? I don't know, but they are doing well on how we look after them. ;)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site

Me too, I also take it myself, ran out recently and was without it for about a week, and my god did I ever notice the difference! So when I ordered more, I also ordered some for the dog, it has taken years off her. She's 9 it is bounding around like a puppy again, it's quite remarkable, in fact several people have mentioned how different she seems.