Hi all,
looking for a bit of advice. at the moment my pony is on:
1/2 scoop barley
1 bran
1 cup nuts
1 calm and condition
1 scoop Speedy beet
and chaff

at the moment i just seem to have so many bags of feeds it getting rediculous! but he just doesnt seem to be blooming with health. he does seem in good condition but im sure theres got to be a better and simpler diet out there for him?
anyone have any advice?
thanks always x

emmilou

Visit site
well, he's a windsucker and was advised it was good for him to try and prevent ulcers.
to be honest i am not sure it this has any benifits so any advice would be great!
thanks

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
sorry, am always interested in why people feed it thats all, you do seem to have a very complicated diet
grin.gif
maybe try simplifying it by combining nuts and calm and condition, e.g just feed the calm and condition, should have all the same nutrients he needs as the nuts, barley is good, i found something called barley plus which was very good at putting condition on,also you could swap the plain chaff for something slightly more conditioning like alfa a or oil

emmilou

Visit site
well thats why i need help i think. why to many different feeds!sounds good what you said tho. he is on ready grass with oil added because i found alfa-a made him a bit mental!
will deffinatly look into barly plus too. nearly out of the old stuff so will invest in a bag.
is it very heating as he can be a ...little tempremental!

emmilou

Visit site
is linsead difficult to do?
a woman at my old yard used to feed it and it took her ages and involved all sorts of equipment? ive seen linsead oil but never looked into it cooked?

ThomasTank

Visit site
I make it up a bit like sugarbeet but using BOILING water and then let it steam for 24 hours with lid on. puts weight on and gives a lovely shiny coat
grin.gif

emmilou

Visit site
hmmm, think will try ready cooked stuff as leaving it steaming overnight may not impress the mother-in-law! especially on the new cooker!
blush.gif

ThomasTank

Visit site
if you are really interested then i could tell you more but wont bother if not ( not offended either) coz my typing is slow and i am quite illiterate when it comes to these computers
confused.gif
blush.gif

emmilou

Visit site
re thomastank: i would like to know as i think this may be the answer!
also Mad hector: do you just add the powder straight or re-hydrate it first?

sorry for the silly questions x

ThomasTank

Visit site
hmm lots of people think that but i dont cook mine, just use a kettle. apparently the nasties dont have any effect on horses but they do on cattle
grin.gif

emmilou

Visit site
ahhh ok. i thought you ment let it simmer on the cooker! ops! well thats easily done. how long shall i boil it for?
thanks x

ThomasTank

Visit site
hold on a mo and i will get typing - better to ask a silly question than make a silly mistake although they are not silly questions so dont worry
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

emmilou

Visit site
many thank Madhector. appreciate the advice. i think ill have to ask my local feed supplier and see which he stocks? (he's not that great when it comes to variety!)
think i will go with:
Calm and condition
bran (cut down on and try and stop as i dont think it helps)
barley plus
linsead
and ready grass
sound ok?

ThomasTank

Visit site
I have a 30yrs+ cob who last weight last year, was quite ribby. I was talking to someone about him and she told me i was feeding him all wrong (saracen 16+ chaff and sugarbeet) . so on her advice I changed him to 1 full scoop crushed oats, 1 full scoop alfa a, 1 scoop bran , 1 teaspoon limestone flour and a dollop of linseed. Everything twice a day exept linseed once a day reducing as horsey puts on weight. To make linseed put 1 third linseed in plastic tub and put 2 thirds BOILING water on and put lid on and leave 24 hours. the linseed will go gloopy. feed a handful each day reducing to every other and so on. they love it. there will be a bit of water lying on the top so just mix in.It only lasts about 3 days until you have to make some more. one sack costs me about £14, and will last the year. I hope this helps you, thomas is back to normal and is lovely and weighty and really shiny. dont hesitate to ask any more
grin.gif

emmilou

Visit site
he does get adlib hay which is good quality although he rarely eats more than about 3 big sections. he also has great grazing so he's deffinatly getting the forage!
dont get me wrong, he's not underweight but i do think his condition is not as good as it could be x

emmilou

Visit site
did you find that bran did him any good?
im not sure whether to keep him on it.
i think ill substitue the oats for the calm and condition but the rest does sound like good lines to follow x