Feeding a tb

Charlie007

Visit site
Could I haveyour suggestions regarding feeding a tb in light work. Very low sugar, high fibre, non heating. To be fed alongside ad lib hay. Tb in question is a relatively good doer. Thank you

be positive

Visit site
The one here is on grassnuts and unmolassed chop, also in light work, he is barefoot and until yesterday was living out having just haylage, quantities at the moment are tiny and will increase as and when required, this is the same as last winter and suited him well.

Charlie007

Visit site
Thank you.
Which grass nuts and which chop do you use? Any added vits and mins?

He is currently on 1 scoop dodson and horrell just grass chaff, 1 scoop TopSpec cool condition cubes, TopSpec comprehensive balancer and linseed. He looks fabulous but he has toomuch energy. He is going nicely and I don't want him to get naughty, but by the same token I don't want him to drop weight. Feeding a cheaper feed would be great to!!

be positive

Visit site
Just a basic grassnut, not sure which it is, with Thunderbrooks chaff, no vits or minerals other than a lick, he was clipped today and looks far better than I expected for a horse that has been out and only ridden 2 or 3 times a week but it has been an easy winter so far, energy wise he is just about right for some low level competing over the next few weeks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mines on chopped dried grass speedi beet some oats and linseed .
He's a good doer we just adjust the amounts according to how much he's works he's extremely easy to feed you work harder he loses weight you up his food he gains it back .

scats

Visit site
My experience of TBs- avoid Alfalfa based feed. I'd go for a balancer, try and find one without Alfalfa (baileys 17), and a chop such as D+H Safe and Sound or Mollichaff Calmer (both non-alfalfa).

Add speedi beet if you feel he needs a bit more bulk to his feed.

claracanter

Visit site
I find with my TB that any feed with 'Condition' in the title is rocket fuel. Also anything beet related, with or without molasses. He is currently on Winergy Low Energy mix and timothy grass chaff. He gets grass nuts from Simple Systems( blue non heating ones) if the weather is bad and he has to stay in all day, just to keep him amused. Plus ad lib hay.

Charlie007

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

I have decided on just grass chaff, grass nuts and micronised linseed alongside ad lib hay. Hopefully he won't drop any weight as he looks fabulous at the minute. He is only getting a small amount of linseed so I could always add more if he drops off a bit.