Feeding a weanling - what do you feed yours?

sallyellis

Visit site
As some of you may know my OH bought me a lovely Appaloosa (albeit she is black) filly who will be being delivered to me in September and at the moment is just on grass and the milk bar courtesy of Mum....but not even bothering with that much at present! so what should I feed her when she comes to me? or what do you feed your weanlings...sorry to sound so clueless I am so excited I just want everything to be right.
blush.gif

zizz

Visit site
mine gets half a kilo of winergy equlibrium growth (They recommended 3kg a day
shocked.gif
) 30ml propell plus and 250g of baileys outshine. After his last show in early september he will come off the outshine and propell (has access to mineral licks in field) and over winter will increase the amount of winergy as his weight dictates.

wattsy

Visit site
Hi, how exciting! you could ask the breeder and then carry on with whatever they do. We use a purpose made feed for youngstock (most of the manufacturers produce one) and feed one pound for every month of age, and then 6 pounds a day at 6 months, continuing at 6 pounds a day until around 2. Haylage ad lib. and plenty of grass. We split the hard feed into 3 feeds a day, and add a little water to it.

PrincessDana

Visit site
I fed mine Baileys Stud Cubes, Alfa-A and Baileys Outshine. You could give some of the feed companies a ring and see what they suggest.

Congratulations on the new filly
smile.gif

nikkiportia

Visit site
D&H Suregrow, D&H yearling cubes and D&H Surelimb supplement (starting the supplement in Autumn time)
They live out on good grass through winter with decent hay when weather is bad.
But these are TB's so are prob fed a bit more than other breeds.

almorton

www.greygatessporthorses.co.uk
mine get grass. and they look just fine! :)
in the winter, they get haylage!
funnily enough we dont get growth disorders, ocd or growth plates up etc. if they need anything, its a vit and min supplement. try not to pump them full of concentrate food, fibre based is better for them and much more natural. despite what these feed companies would have you believe!

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
I agree with greygates, mine get grass and good quality haylage. I will however supplement the odd one that is looking a little too lean if needed with a good fibre based feed.

You can do more damage by having a fat youngster than a lean one.