Feeding a wind sucking yearling

BabyA

Visit site
I bought a foal last year and ever since the day he arrived he's wind sucked. He was 6 months old when I bought him therefore weaned early.
He's turned out 24/7 now and I'll still occasionally catch him having a go on a post. I've read that wind sucking could be due to ulcers but I asked my vet about scoping for ulcers but he said often if they don't have ulcers and you scope it can cause them. He also felt it was a vice that couldn't be cured through feeding as if the yearling has ulcers.
I'm obviously feeding him so I'm thinking why not try the correct types of food and see what happens.
Therefore I wondered if any of you have wind suckers that have eased off with correct feed and/or supplements?
He's TB but holds weight well, as mentioned out 24/7 with ad-lib way. Feeding once a day which I've already been told to split into 2 feeds.
I've contacted some feed companies who are very helpful and that have recommended various feeds but they'll obviously only recommend their own makes.
Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

BabyA

Visit site
We are low on grass hence ad-lib hay and he's turned out with another pony. Someone else mentioned that turning out of a good paddock of grass may help, I just need it to grow!

twiggy2

Visit site
If it was just a yearling and apony turned out o 6 acres I would expect to have plenty of grazing left especially afetr such a mild winter.
I would be looking at putting him somehwere to live out with a fully established herd, no bucket feed just grass and hay to top up, how long has he been living out though and what was his routine before?
I would want to give him 6 moths and see how much he improved over this time, really curious as to what would have a 6 month old foal wind sucking in the first place? Is it wind sucking or crib biting though?

BabyA

Visit site
Yes I imagine it goes back to weaning as he'd obviously been weaned early plus he arrived with rain scald and lice so I don't think he had the best start. I did have a horse whisperer around to look at another pony and he did pop his head over the door and have a quick chat with the youngster. He says he was weaned with something that wind sucked/cribbed but how accurate that is I'm not sure.
I previously stabled him at night and out in the day at home out with 3 others but he got so bad at wind sucking & cribbing I thought it best and due to his age to keep him turned out and be a baby with a friend.
To clarify he'll grab/bite something and suck in!
I'll look into the herd thing! Thanks for your advice 😀

Mrs G

Visit site
Two foals and their mums were turned out in the field adjoining my crib biter TB, unfortunately one of the foals seems to have picked up the habit from watching my horse (they would spend lots of time at the gate together where my boy often cribs) so it could be the same for yours OP? I would keep him out with company, but electric fence off anything he could crib on; gates, fence posts etc, or try cribbox, or use natural hedging and/or let it grow over the fencing a bit), then hopefully he will get out of the habit. Good luck though; I have tried many things to discourage my lad but he was 4 when I got him and was an ingrained habit by then I think.

Last edited:

thatsmygirl

Visit site
What a shame at such a young age. My yearling had a very bad start as well and started wind sucking at 6 months ( not cribbing just sucking air in) I started feeding twice a day greengold by simple systems with purabeet and ulsagard and touch wood she's ok now, (2 yr old) but I made sure she was out 24/7 with company and kept everything stress free for her. My vet recommended feeding her Rennies as well which I did do but swapped to ulsagard as it was cheaper in the long run

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up here, I was at the National Stud, and one of the foals in the field was windsucking on the water trough, it was about 4 months old and in the best of facilities, with a herd of mares and foals.