feeding a yearling for growth and good feet?

jackessex

Visit site
hi all ive got a lovely yearling who i plan to keep barefoot,hes a arab x standard bred,i would like some info on what i should be feeding him please atm hes on good pasture which is a nice mix of grasses,my other horse is a fatty cob who is on a track system round the outside of yearlings field the plan is once they are a little more settled for them to go in together the cob is fed a small feed of fast fibre with pro earths hoof balance,mag ox,yea sacc and salt,he also has meadow hay fed on track,but im not sure what i should be feeding yearling ive been offering him a small feed of fast fibre daily but hes not keen on that so not really eating much of it,what should i be feeding him to keep him and his feet healthy?im assuming he will need his minerals and vits?also the other prob i have is trying to manage them both while keeping cob slimmer but yearling having everything he needs for good growth,through the winter the cob norm comes off the track and gets strip grazed on pasture?so i would love some input please as how to manage them both please :) i never make things easy for myself lol

Auslander

Visit site
He should get all his nutritional needs met by good quality forage, and a decent youngstock balancer. Ideally, keep him a bit light of condition rather than too heavy-topped, which will allow his joint to develop normally. A bit ribby isn't a bad thing!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I would also go for Suregrow. Then you don't need to feed anything else.
I also second the advice about weight though; too much grass is not good even for growing youngsters. Keep him slim. If he's not slightly ribby at the moment then why not put him in with the cob?

fatponee

Visit site
Since buying my section c yearling last year, he has been fed with Pure Feeds Easy and his feet are amazing! I did contact Pure Feeds to ensure that their feed would be suitable for a youngster and they assured me that it was. I can highly recommend it :)

windand rain

Visit site
high protein low carb/sugar with a good balancer I use topspec but there are lots to chose from
mine are all raised on afalfa chaff, soaked grass nuts and top spec with either an egg cup of micronised linseed or more depending on condition for feet and coat condition. If skinny they have up to a mug full of linseed per day
Slim is ok ribby with a scrawny neck is not

jackessex

Visit site
thankyou all,i would class him as about right as he is you can see his ribs,but he is not scrawny my plan is to put him on track with fatty cob as i want him to have company,i was just worried what to feed as he is my first yearling,i think i will have to give up n the fast fibre at the mo as he just wont eat it,will check out the other suggestions :)