Feeding a youngster

Heilo

Visit site
I have a rising 2 year old warm blood x tb colt. I'm just not sure what to feed him. He is getting a scoop of sugar beet ,a scoop of readi grass and a scoop of mare and youngstock mix at moment

Sparkles

Visit site
What's his condition like?

I don't give mine anything other than ad-lib hay/haylage and a mineral lick. He gets a token feed of Rowen Barbury Solution mash when I feed the other two.

Rebels

Visit site
Depends on condition, my yearling gets Dodson and Horrell Yearling cubes, my 3 yr old gets a mix of hi fi , speed I beet, pasture mix and hi fi cubes which keeps her in a decent condition. I've found it best to keep it simple, fibre is best, simple fibre better.

Heilo

Visit site
His condition is ok he's not too skinny or fat. He gets hay but doesn't much in stable during day and a lot gets mushed up muddy field though I give him plenty.

Asha

Visit site
i've kept a close eye on my 18 month old WB, as she looked horrible as a yearling, but seems to have done really well so far on just grass, adlib haylage and a mineral lick. However she did start the winter off looking very well ! Shes grown evenly too.
So it really depends on what condition hes in.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Having been thoroughly warned about over feeding youngstock and the associated growth problems that can occur, I am feeding my 2 plenty of hay and or haylage and when their field turned into a swamp at Christmas they started on one feed a day of half stubbs scoop dodson and horrell suregrow, handful of just grass and half scoop (wet) speedibeet. They look grand and are growing very evenly.

They mainly live out with a barn to run into and are good doers having ID and Shire in them.

Rebels

Visit site
Meant to say both mine are TBs, both thrown out of stud due to growth issues. The 3yr old is about 14.1 now, the yearling was on masses of feed to make her grow so I'm trying to support the growth that they started.

Allie5

Visit site
I've got two BWB full brothers. One rising 4 the other rising three. The older one I've had since his first birthday and he had dodson and horrel suregrow with excellent grass in the summer. In the winter he had suregrow, alfalfa a lite and speedibeet and ad lib hay with as much grazing as I could manage. His younger brother is still on this regime whilst I've just changed the older onto top spec but kept everything else the same. They both look fab on that and have grown steadily and fairly evenly.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
He will be fine if you keep plenty forage in front of him, no need for hard feed really, can do more harm than good.

Why have you kept him entire?

Heilo

Visit site
I only got him in December and got him entire hence why he is. I am planning to held but his bits haven't dropped yet and vet said wait for spring hopefully Mares in season around and his hormones will help

daisydoo

Visit site
Hi, my 20 month old just gets adlib hay and a small scoop of Dodson and horrel suregrow morning and night. She is out during the day on grass but even when at the old place grass had ran out I just gave hay in the field. I'd stick with just forage and keep a check on condition. My girl was on a mix, sugar beet and chaff when I bought her at 7 months, no wonder she was wired to the moon! Basic forage is best. If I needed something to get some weight on her then I'd add a but of speedibeet but she's been growing at a steady rate so no probs there.