feeding advice for gaining weight

PeggyPatch

Visit site
My pony has dropped off a bit too much over the winter and I'm trying to put some weight back on. Currently feeding the advised levels of conditioning fiber and cubes (as well as hay) but due to low grass levels he is still dropping off and I'm planning to take him out soon. I've been looking at adding oils and possibly upping or changing feed but its a mind field out there.

be positive

Visit site
Adding oil in some form should help, micronised linseed is ideal for weight gain without adding any real bulk to the feed and they usually like it unlike putting in large quantities of oil which can put some off eating.
I would possibly look at checking for worms, teeth etc though as it has been an easy winter for most horses, mine had all gained weight and are being restricted still.

Kat

Visit site
I have a horse that drops weight easily and find micronised linseed is more effective than oil. It also has nutritional benefits which oil does not. And it is easier to get a fussy feeder to eat.

I found I need to feed much more than recommended weights of forage, I feed genuine ad lib but weigh it to ensure consistency. She gets enough that she has a decent amount left over.

If you still need more weight try oats, I feed whole soaked oats and they don't fizz her up.

JoClark

Visit site
Is it ad lib hay? Calm and condition will put weight on or a balancer. I have used C&C but personally prefer the balancers, I use top spec and their cool conditioning cubes. Simple system do lucie pellets which is alfa and is good for them, can be fed as much as you want (not too much in one feed) as its just alfa. Linseed is also very good, could give a cup of linseed and a mazola oil can help, start slowly though and upto a glug, you dont want to give too much oil.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Be careful with alfalfa (it's NOT alfa), it upsets some horses. In your shoes, I would also make sure you're up to date on worming/teeth, etc., and add something with a lot of oil and not a lot of either sugar or starch. My boy dropped off after hunting and took some time to pick up again, so (alongside unmolassed chaff, speedibeet and ERS Pellets (D&H) he got micronized linseed (don't get the lozenges, they don't do the job) - now that that's run out, he's on Coolstance Copra and for a little while I added Bailey's Number 4. He is now looking much, much rounder so once the spring grass is through in his field (it's a little sparse at the minute), he'll go back to just chaff (unmolassed), ERS Pellets and either linseed or copra.

Oh, and in the winter he gets good quality (large bale) haylage alongside (lovely) ad lib hay - now that Spring is here, I've dropped the haylage.

I hope that helps and good luck with your boy.

P

PeggyPatch

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I should have written that he had his teeth done in March as well as a worm count. He has dropped up because they have been restricted to their summer grazing before its really come through so they are all feeling hungry.

He has ad lib hay when in and is on 2 feeds a day. I went out and got some oil, so hopefully that will help. I read you can feed 100ml per kg of horse but I don't think I'll go that mad. I'll give a good glug though and hopefully this will help. :)